Debugging segfault during upgrade


#1

Hello,

This is my first post here, so I’d like to say “Thanks a lot!” to all Piwik developers and contributors for the great and free software! :slight_smile:

Today I’ve upgraded my Piwik from version 1.4 to 1.5. It runs on Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS box with PHP 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.9 with Suhosin-Patch. I got segfault while upgrading, but it seems that the Piwik still works well.


# php /path/to/piwik/index.php -- "module=CoreUpdater"
*** Update ***

Database Upgrade Required

Your Piwik database is out-of-date, and must be upgraded before you can
continue.

Piwik database will be upgraded from version 1.4 to the new version 1.5.

The database upgrade process may take a while, so please be patient.

Segmentation fault

How can I debug similiar problems in the future? Should I touch bootstrap.php file and set PIWIK_DISPLAY_ERRORS=1 before upgrading next time? Any hints are very welcome :slight_smile:

My best regards,
Pawel


(Matthieu Aubry) #2

[size=x-large]Piwik segmentation fault FAQ with solution list now published. Check it out: Troubleshooting - Analytics Platform - Matomo


#3

Hi Matt,

Thank you very much for your reply! I’m not sure whether the listed solutions there will be very helpful for me… I rather don’t have the problems with PHP and PDO_MYSQL every day. I got segmentation fault error only while upgrading Piwik from 1.1.1 to 1.2 a few months ago and now from 1.4. to 1.5. The rest Piwik upgrades with the same version of PHP/PDO were successful.

Of course, I can try to find more fresh PHP packages for my Ubuntu box.

Cheers,
Pawel


(vipsoft) #4

I’m on 10.04 too, and I haven’t see this problem, so it could be a combination of things.

It’s difficult to debug mod_php post-mortem, but please advise if you have more findings.