I’ve been using Matomo for a while, and I understand that it filters out the bots and that sort of thing, but it also seems to filter out legitimate users. For example I tracked a click in an email from a user, but there is no entry to Matomo to confirm that the user clicked the link. I’ve also noticed that in the past when I went through the logs that some data that wasn’t from bots was filtered out, but I didn’t know how to fix it. How can I ensure that only bots are filtered, and not legitimate users?
I think what is more likely than that the user was detected as a bot is that they had DoNotTrack enabled, which Matomo respects by default or they opted out of the tracking (or they had an adblocker that also blocks Matomo).
But to be sure, you could find out the user agent of this visitor and enter it here: http://devicedetector.net/
It will show if Matomo detects this user as a bot.
Thanks for quick reply. I had disabled do not track a few weeks ago to see if there was a change in detection, but there wasn’t. I think you’re probably right about the adblocking. I didn’t realise that analytics was blocked by adblockers.
This is the analytics POST request for this user, which is the same as what I’ve seen for other users that aren’t detected.
“POST /analytics/ HTTP/1.1” 200 821 “-” “-“
Also from the same IP "HggH PhantomJS Screenshoter” - so definitely some bot activity, although only some requests had this user agent.
I hadn’t checked the log until now as the user was a subscriber, but seems to just be a subscriber to scrape data.
User agent for other requests from this IP is like this "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows
NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/65.0.3325.181 Safari/537.36” which is detected as windows 10 desktop.