I’m currently using custom variables for 2 different purposes:
[li] Present comparative statistics between custom variable values via the “Custom variables” Widget (the few informations presented are sufficient for me). For example, I use a “Visitor language” to compare how much visitors are visiting the english or french part of my sites
[/li][li] Segment the statistics showed. For example, I have a custom variable named “context_id” that save the id of the context (this is a custom notion), then I can use something like
when invoking widgets (iframed) to present subsets of visits.
My first problem is that I can’t hide “segment purpose custom variables” from “Custom variables” widget. Indeed, I don’t want my customer to see them. This is not the objective.
Can I hide some custom variable from “Custom variables” widget in any way ? If not, can you give me some lead on how to do it ?
My second problem is the number of custom variables available: 5 will not be enough for my purposes. Is there a performance reason for this restriction ? Could it be possible to add more ?
Thank you Matt for your answers
- Ok, I will try to create this custom plugin
- I didn’t entered deeply in the code yet. Do you think add more will impact significantly on performance ? Is it hard to add more by myself ( keeping aside the obvious upgradability problems ) ?
A strict hardcoded limit of 5 was a bad idea. Many marketers use more than 5 variables.
I am also interested to know how to add more variables. I don’t even need a ton, but a couple more would do.
It’s not configureable at the moment (because it affects the database schema).
You are, however, welcome to customize it. Look for:
- custom_var_k* and custom_var_v* in piwik/core/Db/Schema/Myisam.php (log_visit and log_conversion tables) to figure out where to add new columns
- MAX_CUSTOM_VARIABLES in piwik/core/Tracker.php
- maxCustomVariables in piwik/js/piwik.js (note: this is in the unminified source of the next release)
Happy New Year! If you are still using Piwik and interested in the awesome new feature of “Creating a Custom Segment in Piwik and apply to reports in Real time!” we need YOUR help, with a little or big donation at: http://crowdfunding.piwik.org/custom-segments-editor/
This will allow to dynamically add or edit, a new set of rules for example “Show all visitors from USA and using Firefox and using Google”. This will be done via a simple to use interface. See screenshots and more info here: http://crowdfunding.piwik.org/custom-segments-editor/
We are crowd funding the future of Piwik and this feature in particular. With your help we can do it.