Cross Domain Linking using Matomo Tag Manager

Hi,
we have changed from the core Matomo Tag to MTM lately and I am a bit confused with the Cross Domain Linking and where to define it now.
We have multiple (country) domain sites, like xyz.com, xyz.it, xyz.de etc. and I would like to track a Visitor through all of these domains. All these domains are set independently in Matomo with their own site ID’s but I would like to follow the customers journey throughout the sites. At this stage I can see the visitor coming to xyz.com, then I can “guess” it is the same visitor on xyz.it by checking the Place/timing…
That leads me to my question:
Where would I set these domains up, as I now have two places in Matomo to configure this.

1. I would go to Administration → Manage Measurables → xyz.com (edit)
    here I edit the URL Alias to include xyz.it
  2. Go to Tag Manager Container for xyz.com → Variables → Matomo Configuration
    here I enable “Enable Cross Domain Linking”

I would guess I do not need to include xyz.it in this configuration under “Domains” unless I do not want the Visitor Log to show it as an Outlink.

Do I also now need to do the reverse as well, ie. In the Site Management of xyz.it include xyz.com?

As we are also using the “Conversion Exports” Add On it will make a difference in the conversion rate as currently the visitor comes to xyz.com through a Google Campaign and then selects Italian and moves to xyz.it and now makes a purchase, it will not be attributed to the Google Campaign anymore as on xyz.it the visitor currently has a different visitor ID.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Hi @tflatka1

I would suggest either you track all in a single Matomo site or use the Roll-up premium plugin:

Also, you have to include all aliases in the Administration → Manage Measurables → URL Alias and enable Cross Domain Linking in the MTM configuration variable.

My suggestion is to use the URL rewrite + custom dimenison of MTM to:

• Save the “country domain” in an action custom dimension (you can also save the “arriving country domain” and “ending country domain” in other custom dimensions)
  • Rewrite all URLs as xyz.com

→ The user following would be easier, I think…