Cookie Consent plugin

I was wondering if there is a plugin that asks visitors for their consent prior to setting cookies and uses a cookie-free approach when none given. (This due to Dutch legislation on “cookies”.)

Not that I know of - but it would be great to develop one. However these are risky as most people will never click and it is unnecessary noise. Since Piwik stores data in a privacy respectful fasion: Web Analytics Privacy in Piwik - Analytics Platform - Matomo
you can leave the cookies on (and anonimise IP to ensure privacy)

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that, to the best of my knowledge, the Dutch legislation requires explicit consent. Even when proper anonimisation and the likes are put in place, which really asks for a noisy method.

So will it make All web statistics tools unlawful?

I really think they’re fighthing the wrong things here (Piwik is great for Privacy and shouldn’t require this)

It makes it unlawful to set any information on an end users computer without consent that is not required for delivering the functionality at hand as well as reading out information that is not required for this functionality.
There is much criticism on this legislation, and it is not quite sure how much effort will be put in enforcement. Nevertheless, it is probably a good idea to be able to comply with it if required.

Settings -> Privacy -> Piwik-deactivation for your visitors

That little iframe should basicly be what you are asking for. It’s a simple checkbox whether to allow Piwik to set a cookie or not.
Though I do not know where to edit the content of the iframe, to modify it to your needs