City-State-Company

I love Piwik. I just learned about it last week and have been rolling it out to all my clients that want access to their own stats. There is a big missing feature in being able to see the city, state, and if available, the company of each IP. I would like to switch from StatCounter entirely but I can’t until Piwik applies this feature. Aside from that, amazing piece of work here!

Piwik has a bunch of 3rd party plugins here. You might be interested with GeoIP plugin for more accurate Continent-Country-City detection. Piwik detects Provider also (I assume this is what you meant by company), but in my experience it’s not that reliable.

On StatCounter, all registered business IPs show up. So if a company gets their internet from Comcast or Time Warner, etc., the provider shows the Business Name i.e. Tom’s Hardware.

Also, I tried GeoIP but I Piwik stopped registering hits. This could very well be my server setup. I am very new to owning my own server.

I love Piwik also and will never ever use google analytics.

I think it could be a good thing to have in Piwik a list of known IP = Compagny couples ; a bit like there’s a list of search engines.

Someone on another topic where i stopped participating was also asking for something like this (but also to be able to attach a custom string to any personnal IP wich goes agaisnt privacy, but that another subject).

But i’m not sure how it could be implemented, where on the UI Piwik would show compagny names, how to get the list of known IP and keep it current, etc.
I seems a bit that the community should participate in this somehow (like we do for new search engines).

Good news: GeoIP is now integrated in Piwik, enabling Accurate Visitors Geolocation in your Analytics reports. To enable GeoIP go to the Settings > Geolocation admin page, and follow the short instructions.

You can also get an even more accurate Country & City Database from here to enjoy top accuracy in detecting your visitors locations.

See also the documentation about Geolocation - Analytics Reports in Piwik.