Cannot update from matomo 4.13.1 to 4.13.3

After clicking the green button for automatic update, the matomo update page hangs for a long time.

When done, the following php log entry appears:
“Error in Matomo: Es tut uns leid, aber die Aktion welche Sie ausführen wollten, ist aufgrund einer Sicherheitsprüfung fehlgeschlagen. Dies ist ein Standardverhalten, um die Sicherheit Ihres Benutzerkontos zu gewährleisten. Bitte erneut versuchen, und wenn das Problem bestehen bleibt, kontaktieren Sie für weitere Unterstützung unseren Support.”

Translation (deepl):
“Error in Matomo: We are sorry, but the action you tried to perform failed due to a security check. This is standard behaviour to ensure the security of your account. Please try again, and if the problem persists, contact our support for further assistance.”
After this, I get a “503, Service Unavailable .The server is temporarily busy, try again later!” Error.

I tried again, but the result is still the same. No hint about what kind of security check failed, and why.
What do do now?

Best regards!

1 Like

Hi @knobbles
Can you check in the Matomo error log if you see something since the update try?

Yes, thank you very much.
I had to enable error logging first.

When trying to update, at first repeating a list of all plugins loaded.

DEBUG Piwik\Plugin\Manager[2023-02-01 11:33:16 UTC] [4f87b] Loaded plugins: CoreVue, CorePluginsAdmin, CoreAdminHome, CoreHome, WebsiteMeasurable, IntranetMeasurable, Diagnostics, CoreVisualizations, Proxy, API, Widgetize, Transitions, LanguagesManager, Actions, Dashboard, MultiSites, Referrers, UserLanguage, DevicesDetection, Goals, SEO, Events, UserCountry, GeoIp2, VisitsSummary, VisitFrequency, VisitTime, VisitorInterest, RssWidget, Feedback, Monolog, Login, TwoFactorAuth, UsersManager, SitesManager, Installation, CoreUpdater, CoreConsole, ScheduledReports, UserCountryMap, Live, PrivacyManager, ImageGraph, Annotations, MobileMessaging, Overlay, SegmentEditor, Insights, Morpheus, Contents, BulkTracking, Resolution, Heartbeat, Intl, Marketplace, ProfessionalServices, UserId, CustomJsTracker, Tour, PagePerformance, CustomDimensions

(repeated several times).

But then:

WARNING CoreUpdater[2023-02-01 11:35:36 UTC] [2d05c] /xxx/matomo/vendor/matomo/decompress/libs/PclZip/pclzip.lib.php(4183): Warning - unpack(): Type V: not enough input, need 4, have 0 - Matomo 4.13.1 - Please report this message in the Matomo forums: https://forum.matomo.org (please do a search first as it might have been reported already) [internal function]: Piwik\ErrorHandler::errorHandler(),#1/vendor/matomo/decompress/libs/PclZip/pclzip.lib.php(4183),#2/vendor/matomo/decompress/libs/PclZip/pclzip.lib.php(3224),#3/vendor/matomo/decompress/libs/PclZip/pclzip.lib.php(789),#4/vendor/matomo/decompress/src/PclZip.php(69),#5/plugins/CoreUpdater/Updater.php(243),#6/plugins/CoreUpdater/Updater.php(103),#7/plugins/CoreUpdater/Controller.php(178),[internal function]: Piwik\Plugins\CoreUpdater\Controller->oneClickUpdate(),#9/core/FrontController.php(631)

WARNING CoreUpdater[2023-02-01 11:35:36 UTC] [2d05c] /xxx/matomo/vendor/matomo/decompress/libs/PclZip/pclzip.lib.php(4186): Warning - Trying to access array offset on value of type bool - Matomo 4.13.1 - Please report this message in the Matomo forums: https://forum.matomo.org (please do a search first as it might have been reported already) #0/vendor/matomo/decompress/libs/PclZip/pclzip.lib.php(4186),#1/vendor/matomo/decompress/libs/PclZip/pclzip.lib.php(3224),#2/vendor/matomo/decompress/libs/PclZip/pclzip.lib.php(789),#3/vendor/matomo/decompress/src/PclZip.php(69),#4/plugins/CoreUpdater/Updater.php(243),#5/plugins/CoreUpdater/Updater.php(103),#6/plugins/CoreUpdater/Controller.php(178),[internal function]: Piwik\Plugins\CoreUpdater\Controller->oneClickUpdate(),#8/core/FrontController.php(631),#9/core/FrontController.php(169)

After this nothing more, wait a while, then comes 503.

What can I do now?

After using my site a while and again trying to update, now I got a memory problem.

**Fatal error** : Allowed memory size of 1073741824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1830912 bytes) in **/xxx/matomovendor/matomo/decompress/libs/PclZip/pclzip.lib.php** on line **3713**

**Fatal error** : Allowed memory size of 1073741824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 233472 bytes) in **/xxx/matomo/vendor/matomo/doctrine-cache-fork/lib/Doctrine/Common/Cache/PhpFileCache.php** on line **91**

MemoryLimit is set to 1024M at my hoster, also Matomo diagnosis says it is 1024M.
Hm. Should be enough.

I now cleared the matomo tmp directory, but this made no difference. Same effect: wait, nothing happens, then 503.

May be a problem with the nonce, like this one:

But how to debug this?

PHP 8.1.11.