Cannot install "500 GET request to piwik.php failed"

Looked around for while can’t seem to find anything yet that has fixed the issue. From what I read it’s from mod_security being installed but to my understanding I do not have it installed. Would really like to try the software out but unable to get it installed. Here is loaded modules if this is of any help.

Loaded Modules core mod_so mod_watchdog http_core mod_log_config mod_logio mod_version mod_unixd mod_access_compat mod_alias mod_auth_basic mod_authn_core mod_authn_file mod_authz_core mod_authz_host mod_authz_user mod_autoindex mod_bw mod_deflate mod_dir mod_env mod_filter mod_mime prefork mod_negotiation mod_php5 mod_rewrite mod_setenvif mod_status

Did you set the permissions properly?

Permissions should be 755 for all folders and also all their contents, except for folders “config” and “tmp”, which require 777. When Piwik is running properly and no more configuration changes are required, you can set the permissions of folder “config” and its contents to 755.

Yes, I did try that before opening this thread. I also went so far as to 777 all folders and files to see if the error would go away. That didn’t work so I ignored the error and proceeded yesterday with installing everything installed fine without any other errors.

I don’t see any issue with the install so maybe it was just a glitch in the installer not sure. Tracking and everything working fine.

Hi, I’m getting this 500 error at install also and have spent two days on it so far going through all the forum threads and trying every advised solution. I’ve set 777 on /config & /tmp, made sure mod_security isn’t enabled, set a .htaccess file as well as adding AddHandler and AddType directives for both php and html to the default site conf but nothing has worked so far.

I see quite a few have just continued through with the install and apparently all is well. I’m a little reluctant to do so but I guess if it’s just a red herring then that’s ok? Although I’d rather have a clean install process myself.

I’ve installed on many servers from after reporting this and all server has same issue even though all was correct and mod_security disabled. From almost all servers the error is not so much related to mod_security but more of a config file from what I have seen in the server error logs. Doing the install and bypassing this error makes this file for you and works just fine no issues. The error is false and the real error is related to a config file that is 404 to my guess because it’s not installed. After installing this file is created from what I can see.

This is the case in all servers that I have installed on and may not be the case for you hopefully piwik will see this and look into this issue and maybe fix this.

Hi, many thanks for the reassuring response. Yes, I did see from examining the Apache error.log that each time it fails it seems to be looking in /config/ for config.ini.php, which as you rightly identify does not exist, and is only created further down the installation routine. As such I’m going to continue with the installation and see how it rolls out, I will report back.

For info we are installing to Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS.

I see sounds like same issue as me. Seems that this issue should be already be fixed by the piwik team I have reached out on support many times but never get a reply about the issue. Seems that here on the forums also do not get any help from the piwik team. If the team does see this maybe issue with 14.04? I know all my servers are also running 14.04 LTS.

Would be nice if they would give some insight on this issue proceeding with the install does work cannot see any issues with piwik.

1 Like

Hi, I’m getting this 500 error at install also and have
spent two days on it so far going through all the forum threads and
trying every advised solution

What is the error in your server error log?