Can you delete all data for a specific IP address yet?

For various reasons it would be incredibly helpful to be able to delete all of the Piwik data associated with some specific IP addresses. Reasons such as the IP address belonging to a website speed test or monitoring service, my home IP address changing and me not noticing for a while for my own visits were tracked, etc. It would be nice to be able to completely remove this data from Piwik so that my reports are more accurate.

I’ve found past posts asking about this issue but the answers were either unclear or the posts aren’t new and I don’t want to run old SQL queries on my database in case they’re out of date now.

Does anyone know if there’s an easy way to do this yet? I first looked into this 5+ years ago and the feature didn’t exist, and I know others have requested this feature in the past as well, so I’m really hoping there’s an easy way to do this by now.

1 Like

I know you can exclude IP Addresses from being tracked - FAQ, but I don’t know if that affects reporting after the fact.

Unfortunately not. Excluding an IP address doesn’t affect any of the historical data for that IP address, it only excludes future data from being recorded.

Would it be possible for someone from Piwik to weigh in on this? I know a lot of people have asked about this over the years, and I myself have been waiting over 5 years for it to come, so it would be nice to know if it’s possible at all or if something is in the works.

There are many reasons why someone would want to delete all traffic/data for a specific IP address, so I’m rather surprised that there still doesn’t seem to be a way to do this yet.

I’m still hoping that someone from Piwik can weigh in on this. Given how many people have asked about this feature over the years it seems like a fairly important one, and it would be nice to get some sort of a status update on whether or not it will ever be implemented.

Does anyone from Piwik monitor these forums?

Giving this another bump in the hopes that someone from Piwik will finally see it.

It would be really nice if someone from Piwik could finally give a statement on this issue. It’s been a feature I’ve needed numerous times over the years, and based on the other posts I’ve seen online many other people would like it as well.

@gregc like everyone we’d like to see this feature in Piwik. It is definitely do-able to build and we would gladly help reviewing Pull request etc. and merge it. We can also build this feature for you if someone willing to sponsor our work for about two days.

What’s the process/cost of sponsoring the work for a couple days?

Hi @gregc - contact the team @ Development for Piwik - Analytics Platform - Matomo for more info

Hi everyone, any news on this issue? :grin: