Campaign tracking: Piwik and display ads provider numbers differ massively

Hey there,
we are having a problem with the piwik campaign tracking. From the start with different display ads providers the numbers they provide about people clicking on our ads is significantly higher then the numbers recorded with piwik.

For example: For our last campaign the ads provider recorded 1228 clicks while piwik recorded 542.

Tests clicks we did where all recorded correctly though.

Does anyone have a general idea what the problem might be here or does have the same problem?

There are several different delivery systems. The first thing I wanted to know how many ads are on teh page? often there could be more than one so if there were 2 or 3 ads per page than multiply that by the 542. It will never be perfect but should be close.

Where is teh ad code vs the piwik code on the page?

It is normal that piwik tracks less, because some people click and then don’t wait until piwik script is loaded.

Make sure you use the asynchronous JS script: http://piwik.org/docs/javascript-tracking/#toc-asynchronous-tracking

Also make sure your pages load fast and piwik too so it tracks all clicks.

Finally how are you tracking clicks exactly, you mean “visits from this campaign” ?

Hey,
thanks for your answer and sorry for replying so late. I was offline for two weeks.

[quote=matt]
It is normal that piwik tracks less, because some people click and then don’t wait until piwik script is loaded.

Make sure you use the asynchronous JS script: http://piwik.org/docs/javascript-tracking/#toc-asynchronous-tracking

Also make sure your pages load fast and piwik too so it tracks all clicks.

Finally how are you tracking clicks exactly, you mean “visits from this campaign” ?[/quote]

Yes, we added tracking parameters to the banner link used and checked the visits for the campaign keys used. Because the gap between the numbers is so big, I think there must be something wrong with our setup.

I will enable async tracking. Hopefully that will fix it.
Cheers,

Hauke