Brazilian Portuguese translation


(marcusbacus) #1

I don’t know how the translation issues are going regarding the Portuguese language (I’ve suggested that it should be split in 2 before), but if you want you can use my own translated version if you need to use it in the Brazilian Portuguese. The default translation was quite incomplete and wrong and confusing, and it was mostly a mixed version of Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese from Portugal. I’ve translated even the country names.

Download it from here (the http bit was removed as it won’t work) and replace your original Portuguese language file with the .php file included in the RAR: www.ciclideosonline.com/pt.rar


(vipsoft) #2

Rename it to pt-br.php and send it to translations (at) piwik.org. Let Noah know that the Locale in the existing pt.php should be changed to pt-PT.UTF-8, so we can start distinguishing between the two, and cleaning up the original.

Thanks.


(JPA) #3

Good that this was brought up, I noticed some errors in the standard Piwik Portuguese version as well. PT from portugal and PT from Brazil are pretty much alike except for a couple of expressions, much like the US English and the UK English (maybe just a bit more). I think it’s a good idea both PT’s have their own translation. I can do the PT from Portugal translation (both PT and BR would be done), or at least correct it, if I can be provided with the file as I don’t know where or which files to edit.


(vipsoft) #4

Edit lang/pt.php (and reference lang/en.php for any untranslated strings).


(marcusbacus) #5

There are some differences between the 2 versions that appear a lot in “computer stuff”, like “ficheiros” x “arquivos” (for the word “files”) and “ecrã” x “tela” for the computer screen, and can be quite confusing for those that don’t know that these differences exist. One can live using the regular Portuguese translation quite fine, but I think it would be better to have them correctly translated as sometimes the reports will be viewed by a lot of people, not just the site administrator. In my oppinion, the differences between British and American english aren’t that noticeable or important as these in the portuguese, which can be quite confusing as I’ve said, mostly with computer specific words.

What also annoyed me a lot was the huge ammount of typos and errors in the “official” portuguese version, and it was pretty much incomplete despite being said as 80% completed or something. It was much less than that.

I have made another topic about it in the past about it when I did my translation, and I even sent a notice that I had redone the whole translation myself (and lost it in some upgrade when I copied the “official” one over mine…), but I didn’t get any response from the authors. In this other post I’ve even mentioned how there was some header of something (I can’t remember exactly right now what it was) that in Portuguese was a bit confusing when translated, so I did some kind of adaptation to that one, and one might think it’s not the “correct” translation. The literal translation for that specific bit will be too strange…

The convention for the different variations is to use just “PT” as portuguese from Portugal (and the other portuguese speaking countries too) and “PT-BR” as Brazilian portuguese. There might be some problem with the special characters if you don’t use UTF-8, I think (never happens here though). When I first tried the translation, I had to change the special characters using the special coding method in the PHP language file, writing for example “aacute;” for the “á” instead of just typing “á” or else it wouldn’t work. As I did the translation initially for myself, and knowing that I always use UTF-8 as my encoding, I just did it typing the “á” characters instead to save time (and annoyances), and it worked fine. For compatibility issues, perhaps all these special characters must be typed in the PHP with their “long names” instead (“ccedil;” for “ç” etc.), if you must use some encoding different than UTF-8.


(vipsoft) #6

Marcus, check your inbox. I went ahead and commited pt-br.php to svn. Thanks for the clarification.