Bing showing as direct entry


#1

Hi,

I installed Piwik yesterday and have been able to track traffic from certain referers and also Google from key landing pages. However I notice that Bing Ads is not listed in the referers and I can see from my Bing Ads API that there were some visits for certain PPC campaigns. Looking at the data it seems that Bing is being flagged as “Direct Entry” in Piwik. It’s most likely my inexperience in setting it up and something I have done, anyone got any ideas on where to look?

Also I need to distinguish between google organic and google adwords, bing organic and bing ads in the referer information, is there a way to customise what the tags for these are as I will need to post these variables to a matching drop down list in Salesforce our CMS.

One last issue is that when I try to set a goal it gets stuck on “loading data” and the goal never actually gets created. Again, any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Stuart.


(Matthieu Aubry) #2

Did you tag your landing pages URLs with the special tags as explained in Tracking Campaigns – Analytics Piwik - Analytics Platform - Matomo ?


#3

Probably experienced the same problem: organic visits from Bing search (and Yandex as well) are counted as direct entries. No idea what why Piwik is unable to detect referers.


(Matthieu Aubry) #4

maksa, that’s strange PIwik should detect bing properly. How do you know Piwik doesnt track them? do you see BING urls in the Referrer websites?


#5

Hello matt, thank you very much for your answer. After posting the comment, I have read a lot of similar topics, but was unable to find a solution.

However, the visit from Binq is actually the cached page view. Here is the Apache log entry for a Piwik script call:


83.83.xxx.xxx - - [26/Oct/2014:12:40:59 -0700] "GET /pwk/piwik.js HTTP/1.1" 200 23150 "http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=search+query&d=xxxxxxxx&mkt=nl-NL&setlang=nl-NL&w=xxxxxxx" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0" 

So I don’t expect correct representation of such ‘visits’.

But there is a strong issue with showing visit info for visitors from Yandex. Almost all of such visits are shown as ‘Direct entry’.

For examle, log entries for a visit:


176.15.xxx.xxx - - [25/Oct/2014:13:09:46 -0700] "GET /path/page HTTP/1.1" 200 2233 "http://yandex.ru/yandsearch?text=search+query&lr=213" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.57 Safari/537.36" 

And later


176.15.xxx.xxx - - [25/Oct/2014:13:10:04 -0700] "GET /pwk/piwik.js HTTP/1.1" 200 23114 "http://mydomain.com/path/page" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.57 Safari/537.36" 

176.15.xxx.xxx - - [25/Oct/2014:13:10:05 -0700] "GET /pwk/piwik.php?action_name=page%20%E2%80%93%20site%20name&idsite=1&rec=1&r=396474&h=0&m=10&s=11&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmydomain.com%2Fpath%2Fpage&_id=683bc85c37780e29&_idts=1414267811&_idvc=1&_idn=1&_refts=0&_viewts=1414267811&pdf=0&qt=0&realp=0&wma=0&dir=0&fla=1&java=0&gears=0&ag=0&cookie=1&res=1280x1024&gt_ms=0 HTTP/1.1" 200 198 "http://mydomain.com/path/page" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.57 Safari/537.36" 

I checked the log_visit table in Piwik database and found that referer_name and referer_url fields for the visit entry (and for other visits from Yandex) are empty.

Both referer page and target page are non-HTTPS.

I tried to use Firebug to catch possible redirects but probably I am not experienced enough to do that. All that I know, all visits from Yandex are performed via their counter redirect (http://yandex.ru/clck/jsredir).

I wonder, do I have wrong configured website or Piwik installation, or Piwik can’t properly process Yandex visits.