Asynchronous tracking?

Is there any way to make Piwik use asynchronous tracking? Configuration? Modifying some code?

I noticed that if Piwik is down the page load times for tracked pages will be abysmal. Especially the Internet Explorer seems to have very long timeout for the ajax calls of Piwik. Effectively the sites using Piwik go down if Piwik goes down. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif

[quote=ratdog @ Apr 30 2010, 05:27 PM]Is there any way to make Piwik use asynchronous tracking? Configuration? Modifying some code?

I noticed that if Piwik is down the page load times for tracked pages will be abysmal. Especially the Internet Explorer seems to have very long timeout for the ajax calls of Piwik. Effectively the sites using Piwik go down if Piwik goes down. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/quote]

Where is your tracking code located? At the end of the source code?

ratdog: piwik.js loads the transparent pixel image asynchronously.

What version of Piwik are you running? We’ve addressed a number of performance bottlenecks since 0.5, and you weren’t specific on how Piwik was “down”.

If your Piwik web server is down, is your tracked web site even loading piwik.js?

Are queries to your Piwik database backing up?

It would be nice to also have the Piwik JS code loaded asynchroneously, like the new google analytics code. If someone writes a patch for piwik.js, and the alternative JS snippet, we could propose it during the install (propose both versions).

I trialed Piwik briefly but removed it because it was increasing my page load time by too much.

I would definitely use Piwik if I could load it in a non-blocking manner.

I’m very interested in this feature. I’m not a js developer, but I’m willing to take a stab at creating this.