Are Segments reports inconsistent, or do I not understand what Matomo considers a bounce?

Looking at the data for the same segment and period, Behavior > Entry pages shows that the bounce rate for our landing page is 46%:
Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 10.54.05

The question mark in the table explains that bounce rate means:

Number of visits that started and ended on this page. This means that the visitor left the website after viewing only this page.

So I’d expect 54% of visits to do something else than exit the page. But when I look at the transitions I see this:

I’m assuming the transitions also include visits of which the landing page is not the entry page, which would explain the discrepancy between the visit numbers. But what I don’t understand, is why there’s only one visit to another page and that all the rest are exits.

It also seems to be inconsistent with the Behavior > Engagement > Vists per number of pages data:

If only one visit has transitions, how can 49% of the 251 visits shown there include more than one page?

By the way isn’t it odd, that overview shows a total of 251 visits:

Whereas there’s only a total of 226 entry visits:

Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 11.08.02

I just noticed that without segmentation, the total visits for entry pages for that period (10429) doesn’t match the number of new visits (7803) either. I always assumed that an entry page visit is counted for every new visit. But maybe a returning visitor requesting a page triggers a new entry page count, but not a new visit count?

Any feedback regarding this? Experiencing the same inconsistencies.