Analytics Import Creates a New Site

I’m attempting to import Google Analytics Data.

On the import page it reads “The importer is configured and you can start importing data through the command line.”

I input the Google, property, account and view info. I notice that once the import is scheduled, Matomo creates a new site with a new site ID instead of importing into my existing site with the same URL. I expect it to import into my existing site with the matching URL.

I’m running into the same issue: I expect the importer to add information to an existing site, matching on site URL, but it in fact creates a new site with a new id number.

When I read the " Workflows for Switching From Google Analytics" section of the instructions at https://matomo.org/docs/google-analytics-importer/, I thought they made it clear that it was possible to import into an existing site. However, on reading the comment from Matomo team member @Lukas at Effect on existing site of importing Google data into new site, I now understand this is not possible, and that the import will always create a new site.