Adwords question

Hi,

Have 1.5.1 installed & would like to track adwords.

I see the proposal matt made in ticket 517 (For a visit via a campaign, if the campaign keyword is not set, detect keyword from Referrer URL · Issue #517 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub) but am unclear about how to currently configure piwik to track inbound adwords.

I see a bunch of ?gclid=xxxx entries in the page URL box… but nothing in campaigns.

Here is a copy of an typical entry (some modification)

XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - - [18/Jun/2011:13:00:09 +0100] “GET /?gclid=CK-H-xxxxxxxgA HTTP/1.1” 200 11002 “xxx yyy - Пошук Google” “Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1”

My question is:

1. Looking at matts post, shouldn’t this be automatically recognized and reported as a campaign?
  2. If not, what exact steps should I do to track such campaigns. They are running and I cannot make changes to the parameters.

Thanks,

Jim

Ticket 517 is a proposal and is not implemented yet. In the meantime, you can still track adwords, check out the doc at Tracking Campaigns – Analytics Piwik - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Hi guys,

I am using the adwords tracking suggested by matt above and piwik does read / assign the campaigns and stuff. BUT

BUT the WHOLE “Actions” Tab is totally useless as I see different urls for each adwords-click! (url.com: Search lyrics).

This sucks. Is there a way to make PIWIK know that those click-urls actually all belong to the base-url?

Any ideas?

Kind regards
Marcus

The &gclid parameter should be removed from all tracked URLs, you found a bug: I fixed it in: Adding gclid to list of excluded parameters · matomo-org/matomo@6575c1f · GitHub

if you apply the patch, then going forward it should track URLs properly?

@Matt: I applied the fix, BUT with no effekt (at least to the existing data). The glids are still there… all over the place. :frowning:

only works for future data

@Matt: Yeah it works for future data, BUT

Now I do NOT see the glid in the visitor log, which is not very good.

Showing the clickid in the visitor-log helps me figure out three things:

1. Sometimes a visitor clicks my add 2-3 times and I can follow that as piwik shows me 3 different clickids within the visitor log. This shows me that some strange (envy) person has an eye on my adds.
  2. In case someone clicked several times I can compare how often google actually charged me for the some person. I had a case where someone clicked 4 times and I was still charged twice… I was really thankful for piwik showing me this. :slight_smile:
  3. Before I could see if it was a google moderator looking at my adds. In this case piwik knows the campaign but showd NO clickid.

Those 3 functions in the “old” code are really really useful to me. Actually much more useful than the “action” tab. Though I would really love to have a fully functional “action” tab. BUT priority to me is the visitor-log including the click-id.

Do you see a way to bring back the clickid in the visitor-log while filtering it in the “action” tab??

Have a nice weekend! :slight_smile: