Advanced Goal Tracking - Need More Variables

Hi all, I’m new to Piwik and love it, but I have a request for something that I can’t currently figure out how to do with the Goal Tracker API. I would like to have a goal that I can dynamically give extra parameters to, and then have a table to break down where the users are clicking on these goals. These extra variables can be sent in using the events in Google Analytics.

To illustrate, here is my site: www.oxyelite-pro.com

As an affiliate marketer, my main goal is to get someone to the Buy Hydroxyelite Fat Burner Online | Hi Tech Pharma link - which is simply a 307 redirect to whatever store I am currently affiliating with. I don’t have a shopping cart - I just need to get them to the store and hope they buy from there.

What I’d like is to have a main goal named “Buy”, but then I need two extra sub-parameters:

1. The page of my site they’re currently on
  2. The Buy link that they click on (Header, Sidebar, or In-Content)

As this is a growing site with more and more pages, having static goals for each of these would cause too many permutations. But if I can have my PHP code dump in a couple of variables, I can then have Piwik break it down in a nice table.

Is there any way to currently do this? Any possibility of adding it to the GoalTracking API in the future?

Thanks!
Berto

This is on the feature ideas list: http://dev.piwik.org/trac/wiki/Piwik-Features-Ideas

Ouch, those tickets have been opened forever. Are there any “bounties” to support for these? Will they ever get done?

Thanks

If you are considering sponsoring a feature, of course this could help speed up development! Please contact us at hello at piwik.org or contact a Piwik consultant from http://piwik.org/consulting/

Hi all, I posted this a while ago, and since then, custom variables have come out.

But I don’t see how I can do what I want to do with custom variables. There’s still no way to load them into the Goals tab, is there?

My problem is that I want to simply have goals created on the fly. I don’t even need multiple variables, but I’d love to have javascript trackGoal(“Some New String”) that simply populates in the Goals tabs without me having to CREATE the goal first - it just creates it itself. Is that possible at least?

Thanks!
Berto

Custom Variables are loaded in the Goals tab in fact.

[quote=matt]
Custom Variables are loaded in the Goals tab in fact.[/quote]

Hi - I’m still confused about this.

Is there a way I can trigger a goal that has not been manually created?

I’d like to program something like onclick=“piwikTracker.trackGoal(OnTheFlyText);”

Is anything like this possible? Maybe I have to use a number?

Thanks again,
Berto

You cant trigger a goal that is not already recorded in piwik, but you can trigger a pageview with a custom name trackPageView(customName)

[quote=matt]
You cant trigger a goal that is not already recorded in piwik, but you can trigger a pageview with a custom name trackPageView(customName)[/quote]

Ahh, thanks. This might actually work, although I won’t get to see conversion rates. I still see a need for more dynamic tracking, especially with my sites that are much more complicated than this.

I’ll play around with this.

It sounds to me based on the JavaScript tracking options Piwik has with custom variables that the same goal tracking functionality of Google Analytics would be possible with Piwik, but I’m still trying to wrap my head around it all.