Add a new visit when using different device / Apps

Hello,

I am trying to track visits and events on web, mobile app, and desktop app using matomo, matomo tag manager, and matomo_tracker (this for app). Most of visitors visit our website with a user_id.

I found that if a user visit with an app and then visit the site with a web browser within 30 minutes, there will be only one visit. This would be weird because the browser and system is different.

Is there anyway to spit the visit ? For example:

1. If a user visit the web, and then visit the web again within 30 minute.
  2. same as the app
  3. If the user visit app and web alternately, it should be recorded two visits.

Hi @Kevin_Chien1
What is the configuration of enable_userid_overwrites_visitorid set in the configuration file (and visible in :gear: > Diagnostic > Config file)

Hi @heurteph-ei ,

I don’t see Config file session. Currently, I only can see Tracking Failure, Custom Variables, and Device Detection sessions under Diagnostic

Hi @Kevin_Chien1
Can you activate the Diagnostics plugin?

One way to do this is by setting up different tracking codes or user IDs for web, mobile, and desktop apps. This way, Matomo can recognize each visit as distinct, even if they occur within 30 minutes of each other.

Hi @Breakinuk
In your solution, you cannot recognize a user who comes back via another device…

Hi @heurteph-ei
Is this the plugin you mentioned ? Should enable_userid_overwrites_visitorid default to false to solve my problem ?

Also, I’m not sure if enable_userid_overwrites_visitorid can help us to solve the issue when a user visit our website using browser and desktop on the same device.

I think maybe a user can be recognized by user_id we set up if using the way @Breakinuk suggested. If it’s a visitor without user_id then not.

Hi @Kevin_Chien1

No, Diagnostics Extended is an additional plugin, not part of Matomo Core. It seems the Diagnostics Core plugin has been disabled in your instance. Just activate it.

This is my understanding. To be confirmed by tests.

Sorry, I don’t understand what you means… :thinking:

According to the document, when setting enable_userid_overwrites_visitorid = 0, matomo will reat each device as a separate visit even if they share the same logged in User ID.

So now I’m using my laptop visit my website with same account. I go first to visit the website use a brower (web), and then go to visit it with Desktop App. In this situation, website and Desktop are treated as different devices right ? Even if I use the same laptop to do the above two actions.

Hi @Kevin_Chien1

This is also my understanding…

Ok thanks !

I’ll try it and if I have any result, I’ll report it back.

1 Like