Action vs Event and PageView vs ContentImpression

Hi,

I am new to Piwik. I have setup Piwik on my server that also runs a Symfony 2.7 web app. The web app uses the PHP-Piwik-Tracker to connect to Piwik and handle the tracking.

The Tracker offers different methods to track different stuff. Unfortunately I could not find any information about the meaning of the different terms:

The web app is an online address book and calendar. On different pages (e.g. calendar view, contact view, etc.) I simple use doTrackPageView().

Additonally I would like to track different events/action like creating a new contact, deleting a date, etc. Piwik offers both, doTrackEvent(...) and doTrackAction(...). What is the difference between an Event and an Action?

Both methods accept different parameters but I am not sure what exactly is the meaning of an Event and an Action in Piwik? What is the correct solution to track “New contactact created”

Likewise I am not sure what the difference between doTrackPageView() and doTrackContentImpression and doTrackContentInteraction is. When to use which?

Thank you very much!

You should peruse the Piwik Glossary

According to the link:

Actions

The number of actions performed by your visitors. Actions can be page views, internal site searches, downloads or outlinks.

Events

Total number of events

Content Interactions

The number of times a content block was interacted with (eg, a ‘click’ on a banner or ad).

@Valdhor Based on that I still do not fully understand the difference. In @Ares example, when a user modifies the phone number to a contact, should that be tracked as

A. an event i.e.

• category: contact
  • action: modified
  • name: phone number

B. an action

• action_name: phone number contact modified

C. a content interaction

• content name: bob’s profile
  • content piece: phone number
  • content interaction: modified