Access denied for user ''@'localhost'

Hi. I am at a block installing pikwik on my own server. I got as far as tables being created properly, but then I got

Access denied for user ‘’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO).

I went in an manually added the login details to config.php, but now I don’t have a superuser. after the installation brokedown it skipped this step.

is there any way for me to add a superuser to the install after its completed, or do I have to start from the beginning again

I think the easiest solution would be deleting everything in the database and starting from the beginning as you won’t loose much. Piwik should be setup again in less then ten minutes.

(using password: NO) indicates that you tried to connect to your MySQL-Server without a password.

OK tried again as per your advice and the sameproblem. It says “can’t connect to database.” It might be because I’m trying to install it using a database on a different server, i.e. with an other than 127.0.0.1 IP address. I could try and install it on the server local to the directory, but that is innefficient since my DB is on another server.

So, back to the original question, “Is there a way for me to add a superuser to the install after it is completed…” I don’t need easy, I just need to know what fields are necessary in the DB.

To debug the MySQL issue try if you can connect via the MySQL CLI to the remote server (maybe MySQL is bound to localhost there or the user is only allowed to access from localhost)

Normally it should be impossible to not create an admin account. But you can check the piwik_user table.
If you want to change the password from MySQL, check out this faq entry:
https://piwik.org/faq/how-to/faq_191/