[3.5.1] Not honouring "Exclude your visits using a cookie" setting

Matomo 3.5.1 is not honouring the " Exclude your visits using a cookie" option.

When I look at this option under the Personal settings, I’m told that the Exclude cookie was found in my browser (Firefox 60.0.2 on Windows 7 desktop), and that therefore my visits are ignored by Matomo. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work.

I have not yet tried any of the other browsers available to me (IE 11, Opera 54.0, Chrome 67.0, Safari 5.1.7).

I have not enabled any of the Privacy options such as Anonymize IP in Matomo

— Update —
I have tested the other browsers listed above, and can’t reproduce the problem. Firefox has been updated to version 61.0 since the text above was written.

With Firefox, the problem is very intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. In the most recent test, I accessed my site from Tab 2 instead of the usual Tab 1. Matomo reported the access to the home page, but not to any of the subordinate pages. Weird. The second test using Tab 2 worked as expected: Matomo didn’t report any access at all. Likewise for all recent tests using Tab 1.

Accessing the site with Firefox using http instead of https protocol doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Confirming the issue with Firefox.

Might this be linked to the Matomo tracker proxy, which I implemented yesterday?

Confirmed that the problem still exists in Matomo version 3.13.1.

The problem is specific to Firefox. I am running FF version 72.0.2 (64 bit) at the moment. Matomo is unable to set the “ignore my visits” cookie.

The “ignore my visits” option works perfectly when I use Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, and Safari. I haven’t tried any other browsers than these 5.

Hi,

Is it possible that Matomo and the website with the opt-out iframe are on seperate domians?
And that you have set up your browser to not allow third-party cookies?

Two days ago I opened a related, at least symptomatically, issue on Github. In my case the issue may have started once I installed the Matomo tracker proxy, which conceals the Matomo tracker behind the website’s domain. You’ll find the (brief) discussion here. Unfortunately I’m too busy these weeks to act on the debugging steps recommended by Thomas Steur (Matomo engineer). Unlike @canajun2eh, I experience the issue with Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

Hello, Lukas:
Nope, my site does not use any opt-out iframes. It’s a plain vanilla Matomo installation.

I just tried configuring Firefox to accept ALL cookies, and this did not make any difference: Matomo is still unable to set the “ignore my visits” cookie when I use Firefox.

Please e-mail me: gkroll (at) keldine (dot) ca , and I’ll give you the necessary login credentials to my site so that you can see for yourself, or to tell me where I’ve gone wrong in the configurations.