3.12.0 update - 'welcome' screen not 'log in' screen

I updated 3.11.0 to 3.12.0 by using FTP to overwrite the existing files (web update function rarely works on my installation) and upon opening the index.php page, instead of the log in screen, I now get the welcome installation screen.

I tried removing 2 lines of code from the console, index.php and piwik.php files as per the post below:

The lines only appeared once in each of the above 3 files:

+} elseif (file_exists(PIWIK_DOCUMENT_ROOT . '/../matomo_bootstrap.php')) {
+    require_once PIWIK_DOCUMENT_ROOT . '/../matomo_bootstrap.php';

I can reproduce the code from these files if it is helpful.

I also deleted the browser cookies, cache and history also. None of the above made any difference.

I performed the installation system check and all green ticks but there were a number of superfluous files.

File to delete: bower.json
File to delete: composer.json
File to delete: composer.lock
File to delete: plugins/Morpheus/icons/dist/brand/Krüger_Matz.png
File to delete: plugins/Morpheus/icons/dist/brand/öwn.png

I would have commented on one of the other 3.12.0 posts instead of creating a new post but did not find any referencing the ‘welcome’ screen. Thanks!

Anyone had a similar issue with their 3.12.0 update?

Does your database connection in config.php.ini is ok? Maybe you overwrote your config?

1 Like

Good point. Thanks very much for the input. It seems the new FTP client I am using just replaced the old folders with the new ones, by essentially deleting the old one and uploading the new one, rather than just overwriting files and leaving other files inside the destination folder alone. I dragged across the config file from a back up and it seems to be working now, more or less. Obviously I lost a week’s worth of traffic data as Matomo did not know where the MySQL db was but at least now it does. I assume there are no other files (inside folders) I need to drag across from a back up? Cheers.

1 Like

It seems the new FTP client I am using just replaced the old folders with the new ones, by essentially deleting the old one and uploading the new one

I think this is the default behavior for an ftp client.

lol hmm I don’t know, my old FTP client never did this.

Nothing really important: The plugins you installed from the marketplace (but not their settings), the geoip database, maybe a custom logo you uploaded