[1.2.1] Tracking of Safari / Windows Phone 7

Hi,

we’re running Piwik since a couple of months in a testing environment, which works very good so far. But since the upgrade to 1.2.1 it looks like Safari running on Windows isn’t recognized anymore, while running it on an iPhone/iPad works well and is added correctly to the database with correct OS and all that stuff. We don’t have a Mac around to test it on OSX, but shouldn’t it work no matter what OS the browser is running on?

Next thing is Windows Phone 7, we did our first tests with that but notice that those devices aren’t added too, while all the other mobile OSes work (iOS, Android, BlackBerry etc).

I couldn’t find anything related in the FAQ or ticket system, so it might be something on our end?

Thanks in advance,

Please try latest RC (see blog post), then if devices are not detected properly. please report User agent for these devices in a new ticket in dev.piwik.org cheers

Thanks, will do so.

I can’t test Windows Phone 7, but Safari 5.0.4 on Windows Vista works fine for me.

And tracking is working with Safari 5.0.3 on my iMac.

Good to know, thanks for testing, I’ll tell you our results when the guys have done the update :slight_smile:

Just for the record, below you’ll find the user agent of WP7, is this already implemented?

Your user agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; XBLWP7; ZuneWP7)

Browser info:
array
’id’ => string ‘IE’ (length=2)
‘name’ => string ‘Internet Explorer’ (length=17)
‘short_name’ => string ‘IE’ (length=2)
‘major_number’ => string ‘7’ (length=1)
‘minor_number’ => string ‘0’ (length=1)
‘version’ => string ‘7.0’ (length=3)

Operating System info:
array
’id’ => string ‘WI7’ (length=3)
‘name’ => string ‘Windows 7’ (length=9)
‘short_name’ => string ‘Win 7’ (length=5)

That’s with the desktop browsing option, right? I’ll hack together a detection.

(edit: DONE)

Regarding the Safari issue, it seems that there’s still something wrong with. We upgraded to Piwik 1.3 and also to the most recent Safari 5.0.5 on our test machine + settings reset, but Safari is still tracked unsteady.

1. Safari traffic doesn’t show up in live traffic, but always a few minutes delayed (if at all)
  2. When accessing the site the second time, the traffic isn’t captured at all

Running the site form the same machine with FF/Opera/whatever works just in time and get’s recorded as it should.
There are not special Safari settings applied, just the basic standard setup.

I can’t reproduce the problem you’re seeing with Mobile Safari on iOS, or Safari on Windows/OSX. There are a couple of browser bugs (54783 and and 55649) that I’ve reported to the webkit devs, but they shouldn’t affect basic tracking.

Maybe there’s a JavaScript interaction on your test page? Can you try asynchronous tracking?

The funny thing is, on iOS devices it works, iPhones and iPads + the Browsers are reported as expected, just the Windows edition has this problem. I’ll see if I can get another virtual machine with just Safari on it, to test what happens there.

There are no other JS things that I’m aware of, the only thing is that the site is running on Contao CMS, 2.9.4, but this was no issue before. I’ll give asynchronous tracking a try!

EDIT: It was an error on our side, Safari handles .htaccess requests diffrent and so the tracking wasn’t triggered correct, but works now :slight_smile: