0.5.2 urgently wanted! dead or alive :)

Hi Piwik Team!

As we all know 0.5.0 and 0.5.1 are making tremendous trouble and there seem to be a lot of bugs with those realeases.

Therefore i would like to ask you when 0.5.2 will come up so we finally can update our piwik installations.

Thanks for your good job, but what about testing updates before releasing?

Best wishes
yamyam

we test releases before updating, for example on piwik.org/demo. However, the team is very small and QA is a time intensive process, we sometimes miss a few bugs. If you would like to help Piwik with QA, please read: http://piwik.org/contribute

Hi matthieu,

i know that is it hard to code a very good and of course smooth working counter with all it needs. And i also know that you may be not got that time to do test that much or are not that much people.

BUT … then i hardly advide you to do not that big/huge updates like 0.5.0 !

It would be much more comfortable and more clear to all if you may do updates more often but smaller updates. As huge updates always are making much more trouble regarding all type of servers, installations, technical issues and so on. Know what i mean?

2 to 4 little updates a month , each with just a few little update issues, will be much more constructive then 1 big update a month. … Just my opinion.

Greets
yamyam

Hello,

I think the Problem is, that the 0.5 closes a security issue is closed and newsfeeds reporting about it, so all people updating immediately - and all have problems.
So, if only the “usual suspects” make the updates and have the problems, the bugs will be killed before the most users will make the switch.
One other Problem is, that 0.5 means it is no “final” release. This is all “beta” or “testing” stuff! I was only panic because I thought, that the data in the database is going to be corrupted. But this is first of all my problem, because I have not made a backup of it directly before update of another “beta” version. I’m of age an should know what I must do if I work with IT stuff.
Anyway:
There is no data lost till now (I hope) - only the output is not right.
If there will be a loss (hope it never be), the great people here will help all users.
So - say it with Adams - “Don’t panic.” style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Regards
HHenning

0.5.2 released, http://piwik.org/changelog/

Excellent!

I will do an update now from 0.4.5 to 0.5.2 and hope everything works fine style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Thank you!

Hi!

I will now update 2 installations of piwik 0.4.5 to 0.5.2
(So please keep one’s fingers crossed for it g)

I just wonder why installation one is telling me:

Piwik 0.5.1 ist verfügbar.
Bitte jetzt ein Update machen! (siehe Änderungen).

And installation 2 is showing correctly:

Piwik 0.5.2 ist verfügbar.
Bitte jetzt ein Update machen! (siehe Änderungen).

Know why this could be?

… will continue updating now style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Both will update to 0.5.2 - the version number is only checked every 24 hours but in any case Piwik will always auto update to the latest one

Here we go…

UPDATE REPORT from piwik installation #1:

• had several errors (the salt thing, cant enable the new security plugin and some other error messages)

i had to chmod
/config from 755 to 777
and
config.ini.php from 644 to 777
till any update is done.

After no more error occured i changed back
/config from 777 to 755
and
config.ini.php from 777 to 644

Now everything seems to work! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif
But if i would be a piwik/server/chmod noob i would give up and never ever again update or install piwik because i would have been afraid of all those error message flood!
But is it normal that i have to give the whole world access to my config folder and config.ini.php to update piwik and to enable some new features ??? i do not think so ^^

UPDATE REPORT from piwik installation #2:

Not a single problem - no error messages and i do not even had to change any chmod. Worked perfectly. (other server then on installation #1)

Besides the update report #1:

I have noticed following new message info:

It is recommended, but not required, to specify the various URLs that your visitors use to access this website. Alias URLs for a website will not appear in the Referers > Websites report. Note that it is not necessary to specify the URLs with and without ‘www’ as Piwik automatically considers both.

Could you explain that for me again please?
The only think i undertand is that i do not have to enter

for a single website. ok. but what elese does this message means? what is recommended?

Besides the update report #2:

I like the new multi sites overview a lot!
Missed this one since i use piwik … great! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Besides the update report #3:
How should /config and config.ini.php generally be chmoded ?

Besides the update report #4:
Would the piwik script sometime in the future inform us if we need to update the piwik count/track code on our sites because there have been made changes to it?

Hope you will answer all my questions and my feedback will help you style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Greetings
yamyam

I have edited/deleted this entry/post and made a own thread out of it.
1st - will be better for other users who got the same probelems.
2nd - this thread is not beeing overloaded with errors and issues.

Please check here for the new thread:
forum.piwik.org/index.php?showtopic=3071

EDIT:
You sould FINALLY fix/update your board! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif
This linking error exists since months!!!

thx

The broken links on the board are a necessary evil to combat spam. (Trust me, it was bad before this.) The board does support whitelists, but it doesn’t work in sigs, profiles, etc.

Oh ok, but then you may should make this clear like:
(link, please copy and paste!)301 Moved Permanently
Until then all will think the borad is bugy or your to lazy to update it style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Back to topic:
Please answer all my questions above when u got a little time, thanks, i appreciate.

[quote=yamyam @ Dec 15 2009, 09:01 PM]Oh ok, but then you may should make this clear like:
(link, please copy and paste!)301 Moved Permanently

that’s a good suggestion, can we do this Anthon?

Could someone plase answer my questions in here:
forum.piwik.org/index.php?s=&sh…ost&p=11151

Thank you! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

I really would ask again if some official could please answer my questions in the posting above. This one: forum.piwik.org/index.php?showtopic…amp;#entry11151

Thank you!

[quote=yamyam @ Dec 20 2009, 09:38 PM]I really would ask again if some official could please answer my questions in the posting above. This one: forum.piwik.org/index.php?showtopic…amp;#entry11151

Thank you![/quote]
Man, you kiddin’ me? Please give the guys some space … they most likely won’t answer any faster if you keep askin’ once a day. Just write down your questions and wait … they don’t get paid to support you, so they spend their sparetime on it - give a little respect.

Keep up the good work guys !

[quote=typo3felix @ Dec 20 2009, 10:08 PM]Man, you kiddin’ me? Please give the guys some space … they most likely won’t answer any faster if you keep askin’ once a day. Just write down your questions and wait … they don’t get paid to support you, so they spend their sparetime on it - give a little respect.

Keep up the good work guys ![/quote]

Relax dude ^^

If they proclaim to be the big alternative to googles analytics they also need to take care of the questions and support. Right?

Sure, they are doing a great job, but as you see there have been several posts after i sent my questions and none of em were answered even if there has been a lot of time till yet to answer them. They are also very simple and quick to answer questions, nothing high-technical or heavy difficult.

And if i sent some simple questions i can expect them to be answered in meanwhile 7 days, dont you think so?

And instead of beeing a bootlicker you could invest your time (maybe) to help answering the questions which i bet you have not even noticed or read.

Merry xmas!
Love to the world.

[quote=yamyam @ Dec 22 2009, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And if i sent some simple questions i can expect them to be answered in meanwhile 7 days, dont you think so?

Of course you are right. You should expect a lot faster service, since you paid a lot of money for your service contract … oh wait, did you?
QUOTE (yamyam @ Dec 22 2009, 12:12 AM) [<{POST_SNAPBACK}>](index.php?act=findpost&pid=13351)
And instead of beeing a bootlicker
Watch it boy.
QUOTE (yamyam @ Dec 22 2009, 12:12 AM) [<{POST_SNAPBACK}>](index.php?act=findpost&pid=13351)
you could invest your time (maybe) to help answering the questions
Sure I could ... I think it's your attitude which really keeps me from doing that. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif
QUOTE (yamyam @ Dec 22 2009, 12:12 AM]which i bet you have not even noticed or read.[/quote] You just lost your bet ... what did I win?

Regards

yamyam: sorry. I didn’t realize you still required a response in this thread since you indicated that you edited/deleted/posted a new thread. Please excuse the terse response below…I’m answering from my iPhone.

re: the forum and (ext-link). A longer message makes it uglier when people post logs or backtraces. The “fix” would be to patch/fix the forum code.

re: chmod and folder/file permissions. Check your web server configuration. On my development box, I use the Apache “User” directive so the web server runs under my user ID. On my shared hosting server, we use phpsuexec, so the php-cgi runs under my user ID. In both cases, my folders are chmod 0500 or 0700 (eg config and tmp folders). Similarly, my files are either 0400 or 0600, as needed.

BTW if you set config.ini.php back to read-only, you won’t be able to use the GUI to change the superuser password.

re: alias URL. Used in referrer detection (ie direct entry or not). There’s no need to specify both www.domain.com and domain.com, but it is recommended if the site also has URLs such as domain.com and domain.org.

re: updates to tracking code. So far this hasn’t come up. For example, we retained backwards compatibility with legacy tracking code when we went OO in piwik.js. We’d try to avoid this, but should the need arise, we’d try to provide some transition mechanism.

In the meantime, stay tuned to new releases and read the ChangeLog.

Feel free to bump this topic if I’ve missed something. Happy holidays, everyone!