Wrong 'Visitors' since 3.5.0 (Fixed/No Bug)


#1

Hi!

I already found this Since update to 3.5.0, IP addresses are not displayed anymore

because this was the first thing i’ve noticed.

But also our data is different since the 3.5.0 update. It detects a way less “Visitors” than before.
We have not activated any privacy or IP anonymization.
We have a very constant userbase (company internal stats for our internal websites), the stats are very even across many months but since 3.5.0 we have a big drop in the charts.

Check out the attached pictures: First is before update, second is after the update. Check out the visitors dropped but siteviews havent changed. And we can confirm that we have tracked a way to less visitors since update with matoma. Other tools verify that our userbase is still constant.

Edit: I also see that since the update the “Visitor Log” show way less visitor profiles and it tracks too many visitors in the same profile, that aren’t obviously the same visitors. We have many same computers with same installation, as it is normal in companies i guess, the only thing that differs everytime is the IP address.

1
2


(Matthieu Aubry) #2

Hi there,

Do you use User ID on your website? User ID - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Could you maybe also send an example of the visitor profile showing visits from different people?

Thanks


#3

We dont use user-id, we just use custom variables for our “usernames”. Its the same code since 2 years, so nothing have changed on our implementation.

Our embed code

var _paq = _paq || [];
(function () {
  if (window.location.host.match(/localhost|127\.0\.0\.1/)) return
  try {
    _paq.push(['enableLinkTracking'])
    if (typeof PiwikCustomVars !== 'undefined') {
      for (var i in PiwikCustomVars) {
        var v = PiwikCustomVars[i]
        _paq.push(['setCustomVariable', v.nr, v.label, v.value, 'page'])
      }
    }
    (function () {
      var u = 'https://xxx'
      var siteId = '1'
      if (location.hostname === 'xxx') {
        siteId = '3'
      }
      _paq.push(['setTrackerUrl', u + 't.php'])
      _paq.push(['setSiteId', siteId])
      _paq.push(['trackPageView'])
      var d = document, g = d.createElement('script'), s = d.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]
      g.type = 'text/javascript'
      g.defer = true
      g.async = true
      g.src = u + 't.js'
      s.parentNode.insertBefore(g, s)
    })()
  } catch (e) {
  }
})()

A screenshot is attached for a profile that is mixed up we more than 10 unique users/ips. We can confirm that this are different users/computers/ips.


#4

Ok. This bug is no bug. It was a misconfiguration in our installation which have been overlapped with our 3.5.0 update. Now with the update to 3.5.1 we found the error on our side.

Everything is fine, thanks for all your help.