Wrong Visit Count after 1.1.1

Hi,

I am currently using both, Pwik and Analytics. I want to get rid of Analytics as soon as possible, but I realized, that after the 1.1.x Upgrade, there is a recognizeable difference between the stats of both tools.

Let me show you some values before and after the upgrade (I left out 3 days, where Piwik had the cookie Problem (counting each visit as a new visitor).

Date		Analytics  		Piwik			Difference

27.12.10	376			397			+21
28.12.10	474			495			+21
29.12.10	418			443			+25
30.12.10	407			409			+2
31.12.10	280			281			+1
01.01.11	351			359			+8
02.01.11	422			422			+0
03.01.11	422			466			+44

06.01.11	499			448			-51
07.01.11	479			423			-56
08.01.11	397			375			-22
09.01.11	408			389			-19
10.01.11	581			518			-63
11.01.11	540			508			-32
12.01.11	444			395			-49

Piwik always counted a very few visitor more than Analytics. No Problem. But immediately after the upgrade - as you can see - it counts a huge amount of visitors LESS.

Can someone confirm this behaviour??

Something seems to be wrong with piwik-tracking. My bounce-rate increased dramtically

You can use the 1.1.2b1 release which should fix this issue: http://builds.piwik.org/piwik-1.1.2b1.zip

Hey Matt,

I have 1.1.2b1 installed (the stats above are taken from this installation). As I said, the original counting problem is solved… this is just another problem.

Cheers,
M

if you are using 1.1.2b1 why does the topic says 1.1.1 ?

Indeed a good question. I haven’t got an answer. Maybe too much beer?

what about ‘page views’ numbers? these should be close. But in any case, you report 5-10% discrepency which is withing the
"expected" range and wouldn’t be source of worry

[quote=matthieu]
what about ‘page views’ numbers? these should be close. But in any case, you report 5-10% discrepency which is withing the
"expected" range and wouldn’t be source of worry[/quote]

Hello,

i have the same problem. I use Piwik and Google Analytics…and after the update Piwik always counts a huge amount of visitors LESS. But it is not like awesome described it. My difference of users are always about 100 counts per day! And this is NOT withing the
"expected" range, or?

@Comeon: 100 visitors less - at which average visit count per day?

@Matt: I think it’s very close to 10% (sometimes even more than 10%). However, please have a look at the following data:

Analytics tells me, I had 3884 page visits yesterday, spread over 439 visitors.
Piwik tells me I had 2727 page visits spread over 356 visitors.
–> So there is a huge difference.

Just to confirm my assumption, let’s see how it has been before the 1.1.2b1 update: on 31st of December, 2010:
Analytics tells me about 3017 page visits by 280 visitors.
Piwik tells me about 3057 page visits by 281 visitors.
–> See those values have been almost identical before the update. So sth. is currently going wrong here.

@ Awesome: Analytics says i have round about 600 visitors per day…and Piwik only says 500. And the difference is after the update always between 80 to 100 visitos per day. Also the same problem like you!

The data of my site is definitely wrong for the time frame where I had 1.1 installed. Could someone point me to a detailed description of the problem, a bug ID or the patch used to fix the bug ? My intend is to fix the data.

See also:
http://forum.piwik.org/read.php?2,71273,71502#msg-71502

Thanks !

Any news/statements here from development side?

Try updating piwik.js to this version. http://dev.piwik.org/trac/export/3717/trunk/piwik.js

[quote=Comeon]
@ Awesome: Analytics says i have round about 600 visitors per day…and Piwik only says 500. And the difference is after the update always between 80 to 100 visitos per day. Also the same problem like you![/quote]

I am considering installing Piwik.
Can you please share your experience and overall rate your experience with Piwik.

Thanks

Blue Steele

@vipsoft: Hey looks great so far with the trunk version of piwik.js! My stats seem to be equal to Analytics again. Give me 2-3 days to collect some more data, I will stat them here again to give you an overview of the current diff. But as far as I can interpret, the Bug seems to be fixed. Thanks again for your fast help.

@BlueSteel: I think this is the wrong thread for your question. However, I personally like Piwik very much. It’s free, it’s powerful and it can be hosted on your own machine (so you don’t have to send any info to 3rd parties - which is imho even not legal in some countries. Piwik misses some features which Analytics has (for example the Benchmark against similar sites or data comparison between different time periods), but for me the advantages are more important than the missing features. And who knows what the developers plan for upcoming releases? But give yourself an impression with the free demo access at http://demo.piwik.org/

@awesome

Thanks for your reply and inputs, really appreciate your prompt response.
Am going ahead and checking out Piwik, am fairly confident that it will work out nicely. Will run both simultaneously for some time and then switch over completely to Piwik. Somehow all the information about surfing & my websites with big G keeps bothering me. this definitely looks like a good choice.

My sincere apologies for posting in the wrong thread though.

Cheers

Hi,

as feedback: I really like the tool, but there are clearly 2 problems as far as I could tell from this thread and the other one : 301 Moved Permanently

1. there is not enough testing. The 1.1 messed up my statistics, although it was highly recommended as security upgrade.
  2. the developers are not really helpful so far to help fixing what this version messed up

The last 2 points show from my point of view clearly that you can not rely (yet?) solely on Piwik if reliable statistics matter to you.

Yes, please stay on-topic.

Hey Matt, vpisoft!

Just FYI: the trunk-version of your piwik.js fixed this error (thanks to vpisoft)!
I observed the data now for a few days, and all visit counters look perfect again.

Thanks for your help and keep doing this great work!

Just see my post and follow the instructions vpisoft mentioned:

[quote=vipsoft]
Try updating piwik.js to this version. http://dev.piwik.org/trac/export/3717/trunk/piwik.js[/quote]