Websites tab doesn't open

Hi,
the Websites tab in settings will not open, it just delivers a blank page and a refresh comes back with the same. There are no error messages.
This only happens in one of my Piwik installations - the others are ok.
I have updated to v1.6 but that hasn’t helped.
Any ideas please?
Thanks
Ray

Please check in your web server error logs which might contain some info?

getting nowhere with this

added -
[Debug]
disable_merged_assets = 1
to config.ini.php

it is as though the relevant page does not load, when I look at the page source it is empty

also get -
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.
in chrome

Check your webserver error logs: it is possible that there is a server misconfiguration preventing Piwik from tracking your visits or processing reports. Often, there will be an error in the webserver error logs (apache logs, IIS logs, nginx logs, etc.). This will help you find the source of the problem, for example search for the error message on this website.

I have deleted and reinstalled (latest version) but this hasn’t helped everything is just as it was before…

I have check the logs but It doesn’t generate an error - the only error the logs showed was -

File does not exist: /var/www/vhosts/mysite.co.uk/httpdocs/piwik/themes/logo.png, referer: http://www.mysite.co.uk/piwik/index.php?module=CoreAdminHome&action=generalSettings&idSite=1&period=range&date=previous30

But this is not related and when I copy this file and put it where Piwik expects it then even this error goes away.

Using Firebug to try and see what is happening I can see that the ‘Response Headers’ are empty as is the ‘Response’.

The ‘Website’ tab just gives a blank page and the ‘Page Source’ is empty.

I have no trouble with other sites that I use Piwik on - they are with the same host but a different name server.

Please check that your PHP is configured to log errors: (php.ini should contain log_errors = On and error_log = /path/to/log) ?

Then restart server

Then refresh piwik, still no error in error log?

thanks for your suggestions.

Still no errors in the error log - I can create errors and these log ok.

Can’t understand why the ‘Response Headers’ are empty (as shown by Firebug) and the page source is empty.

Not just isolated to one pc as I have the same in Desktop and netbook (both W7) and laptop on Vista.

Sorry at this stage I have no idea what could be the cause!

If you copy paste the exact URL and run it in Shell ie. /bin/php – “module=XXXXX” ?

How many websites are in this install? Could it be that the page is giving a memory limit error?

Hi Thomas,
this install is just one site.
I have another installation on a different domain which has 3 sites and have no problems at all.
Now I am also looking at the possibility of it being a hosting problem but even then both installations are on the same host but in different clouds and have different name servers.
As yet they do not have any suggestions.

Just noticed that Firebug shows the problem page never gets past the first GET.

Also added a new site by editing my sql.
The site shows in the Dashboard Website drop down options but still cannot access Settings/Websites tab.

in firebug do you see error 500 ? check your error logs and other logs, there must be something there?

Hi Matt,
I decided to involve my host and they have spent some considerable time tracing the issue as they see it.
What they have found is that 'completing the Super User page upon submission of the setup data, its actually causing apache to fail.'
It can be traced back to a problem with libxml of which they are using the latest production stable version on my cloud.
The global logs on my cloud show that this also happens with other customers accounts who are also using Piwik.
It would appear to be specific to a function that Piwik is trying to perform in the back ground.

I have installed 1.7-b5 but this has had no effect as I still have the same problem.

If I install Piwik on another domain, on another cloud which I know has an older version of libxml, then it works fine.

Interesting, maybe there is a bug in the latest libxml release? would you be able to do a strace on the failing process to see what is causing the error? It seems anyway that this is not a piwik issue a this stage, so let us know if you have more info

[quote=rayw]
Hi Matt,
I decided to involve my host and they have spent some considerable time tracing the issue as they see it.
What they have found is that 'completing the Super User page upon FromThisSeat.comsubmission of the setup data, its actually causing apache to fail.'
It can be traced back to a problem with libxml of which they are using the latest production stable version on my cloud.
The global logs on my cloud show that this also happens with other customers accounts who are also using Piwik.
It would appear to be specific to a function that Piwik is trying to perform in the back ground.

I have installed 1.7-b5 but this has had no effect as I still have the same problem.

If I install Piwik on another domain, on another cloud which I know has an older version of libxml, then it works fine.[/quote]

Did you take a look at the coding in the source? Have you uploaded any plugins or extensions to your website that may interfere? Odd that you aren’t having any trouble on other domains.

The problem installation is on a simple site with no bells and whistles. On the other hand the domains which are ok are on relatively busier sites - one is even on Wordpress with loads of plugins.

Using an older version of libxml is the only way to get Piwik to work properly. As I have said there are other customers on the same cloud who have the same problem.

My host has offered to migrate the domain to another cloud which runs an older version of libxm where we know it will be ok. They have even offered to downgrade the cloud to the older version of libxml.
But this is not the answer as at some stage every host will presumable upgrade to the latest version and then Piwik is finished.

My host has spent many hours tracing this problem - probably more than many others would and the conclusion is that for some reason either the Piwik coding is incompatible with the latest libxml or the latest libxml version has a bug.

In the interest of the future of Piwik perhaps you could try for yourself on the newest libxml.

Piwik itself just uses PHP and PHP is probably using libxml for some functions. So it could only be a bug in either libxml or in php but not directly in Piwik. All other applications using some codepath as piwik does to hit this bug will be affected by that.

So what you are saying is that anyone who uses a host with an up to date set up will not be able to use Piwik - something wrong here.
I would have thought that it was in Piwik’s interest to get to the bottom of this otherwise there is no future when other hosts update their systems.
It is the same php set up on all of my domains so that is not where the problem lies.
As I said there are already several customers on the same cloud as me who have this problem. How many more that you don’t know about?
Also, as I previously said - don’t take my word for it - try it yourself on a host using the latest libxml.

Surely everyone will eventually be on the newer version and that will mean bad news for Piwik.

no reply eh?

Reading your post, there is a bug in libxml but not in Piwik… so case closed for us?