"Vanilla" Matomo in a React.js application

I want to track the usage of a Single Page Application (React.js) with Matomo.
I know there is a guide to include it in SPAs, but it doesn’t work for me. The guide says you should include the tracking code as usual and then call

_paq.push(...whatever...);
_paq.push(['trackPageView']);

for every consecutive URL change. But aren’t the _paq.push([‘trackPageView’]); calls supposed to be made before the script is loaded?

It seems to work for the first page view (when the tracking code is executed), but using _paq.push afterwards gives me an error:

_paq.push() was used but Matomo tracker was not initialized before the matomo.js file was loaded. Make sure to configure the tracker via _paq.push before loading matomo.js.

That kind of makes sense to me - but the guide for SPAs seems to suggest the above procedure.

I even tried to execute the full tracker code on every URL change, but of course this prepends a new script tag with the matomo.js for every change (ending up with duplicate script tags) and still gives me the same error.

Is there anything i forgot? I don’t want to use third-party modules like piwik-react-router, because this would force me to change a lot of my application logic just for including the tracking.

Thanks in advance for any help!

(Lukas Winkler) #2

Hi,

No, you can call _paq functions whenever you like. (After the script is loaded it is replaced with a function that executes them immediatly).

I’m not 100% sure what’s the solution and I also already got confused a bit by this in my vue site, but I think it is just important that you always try to access the window._paq. But I am not that much of a JS expert and might be wrong here. But calling trackPageView on route change is definitly the way to go.

(Lukas Winkler) #3

Of course you can cheat and look how it is solved in piwik-react-router:

Seems like going with window._paq is worth a try.

Thanks for your suggestions so far! I now understand i can push stuff to _paq after the library has loaded.
I’m sorry to say that, but my problem changed a bit: I want to have a true opt-in for the tracking, so i waited to execute the tracking code until the opt-in really happens. To test if this is the problem, i tried to add the tracking code snippet to the static index.html outside of my actual SPA and then fire the _paq.push calls when i need them. And, oh wonder, it works. The problem is that i manage the opt-in in my SPA and don’t want to load the library prior to that. I’m gonna investigate where that problem comes from - from what i can see all i do differently is executing the original tracking code later, not right on page load. Any ideas?
Thanks again!

Another thing i noticed: If I execute the tracker code long after page load (when the opt-in happens), window.Matomo is undefined for the consecutive calls. If i load the script right on page load, everything is where it’s supposed to be.

(Lukas Winkler) #6

Is it possible, that you are loading the tracker in a function, then you should try adding window._paq = _paq at the end of the tracker so it is available globally.
Similar to here:

Yes, I do load the tracker in a function. Your hint sounds very promising, i will try that.
I thought assigning _paq to window._paq is something the loaded library does internally.

@Lukas Thank you! It’s working now. Do you mind if I suggest adding this to the SPA guide? I guess I’m not the only one who wants to wait for an opt-in in a SPA context (which will always bring up the exact same problem i had).