Using import_logs.py - Errormessage "Name or service not known"

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me, because I don’t know how to fix the error I get using import_logs.py.
I’m using Piwik 1.12.

This is my command:

python import_logs.py --url=http://www.domainname.de/piwik/ ../../../../logfiles/112013/access_log_2013-11-23.txt --debug

I tried it several times with different parameters but every time I get the following error:

2013-11-24 08:46:08,199: [DEBUG] Accepted hostnames: all
2013-11-24 08:46:08,199: [DEBUG] Piwik URL is: http://www.domainname.de/piwik/
2013-11-24 08:46:08,199: [DEBUG] No token-auth specified
2013-11-24 08:46:08,199: [DEBUG] No credentials specified, reading them from "/xx/yy/zz/www/main/piwik/config/config.ini.php"
2013-11-24 08:46:08,201: [DEBUG] Using credentials: (login = USERNAME, password = AUTH_TOKEN)
2013-11-24 08:46:08,203: [DEBUG] Error when connecting to Piwik: <urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>
2013-11-24 08:46:10,206: [DEBUG] Error when connecting to Piwik: <urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>
2013-11-24 08:46:12,207: [DEBUG] Error when connecting to Piwik: <urlopen error [Errno -2] Name or service not known>
Fatal error: [Errno -2] Name or service not known

Am I misusing the URL-Paramter? I tried only www.domainname.de and got the same error.
I also tried using the parameter --login and --password … same result.
I hope somebody can help me.

Greetings,
Jens

(Matthieu Aubry) #2

Does it work if you try “lynx” or “wget” and return piwik Html?

I take a look and I have nothing like wget, lynx, curl or so on on my webspace.
I try to get one of those tools working.

Is any other tool than python needed for executing this script correctly?

Reading your comment I tried to deactivate my .htaccess to get clear, if something happens about there what causes this error. Without .htaccess I get the piwik site when I open the above mentioned URL in a browser, so everything seems to be ok. The script gets the same error :frowning:

Greetings,
Jens

I have been looking around for a solution and found some new aspects.

I’m working on a hosted webspace and don’t have foll access for all ressources.
I found many hints on the internet that such a behaviour can correspond to a wrong /etc/hosts file. I looked for this file and in /etc I can’t find a hosts file.
Maybe he can’t resolve the address of the url parameter using python on the commandline.

Does anybody has an idea how to solve this problem with the missing /etc/hosts? I’m not allowed to save a /etc/hosts because I’m working on a hosted webspace and not a real server.
Can I save the informations somewhere during runtime so python ist able to resolve the adress?

Thanks,
Jens

(Matthieu Aubry) #5

Can you check the server error files? maybe they willl give relevant information

Hello,

thank you very much for your help!
My hosted said, that no requests to the internet are allowed by using shell commands.
That seems to be my problem. I try to use a local installation on my desktop to analyze my log files.

Thanks,
Jens