Updating from 1.12 to 2.15

I’m trying to upgrade from version 1.12 to version 2.15. I get the following error:
“General error: 1034 Incorrect key file for table ‘piwik_log_link_visit_action’; try to repair it.” When I try to repair the table, it tells me the table doesn’t exist.

Based on another post we also increased the size of the /tmp directory but this did not make any difference.

Would it be better to do an incremental upgrade. If so what should I upgrade to first?

Thanks for any help

1.12 was released on 2013-05-30, so it’s been a while and several database changes happened since then, for sure.

I’ve done this before (upgrading very old Piwik to the current), unfortunately I had to check each version’s changelog and look for the version before the one mentioning database changes, and do several incremental upgrades.

Always backup first, both your codebase and database before proceeding. The good new is this can be done in a couple of hours if you don’t have an important setup, but in my case it requires a manual, careful process (only once).

Going forward it will be easier to manage now there’s an LTS version out which will be maintained for some time ( ~1y), so upgrades won’t need to happen so frequently.

Thanks for the reply Wish me luck!