Update Questions!


(yamyam) #1

Hi there!

I am actually running a very well running 0.4.5 and i would like to know how to update now. As i do not trust the automated update at all i always update manually.

Should i first update from 0.4.5 to 0.5.0 and then to 0.5.1 or shoukd i update directly from 0.4.5 to 0.5.1 ?

Second Question:
Should i realy update yet? As i see there are a lot of bugs and problems with 0.5.0 and 0.5.1 - So should we realy update or wait until 0.5.1 isnt BETA anymore or until 0.5.2 will be realesed next days?

Thanks for helping!
yamyam


(hebbet) #2

[quote=yamyam @ Dec 10 2009, 06:47 PM]Hi there!

I am actually running a very well running 0.4.5 and i would like to know how to update now. As i do not trust the automated update at all i always update manually.

Should i first update from 0.4.5 to 0.5.0 and then to 0.5.1 or shoukd i update directly from 0.4.5 to 0.5.1 ?

Second Question:
Should i realy update yet? As i see there are a lot of bugs and problems with 0.5.0 and 0.5.1 - So should we realy update or wait until 0.5.1 isnt BETA anymore or until 0.5.2 will be realesed next days?

Thanks for helping!
yamyam[/quote]
0.5.1 is no beta. when you are upgrading from 0.4.5 you have to make a manuell update


(vipsoft) #3

If you choose not to update, make sure you’ve applied the security recommendations. (see Changelog)


(yamyam) #4

Thanks vipsoft,

ive done this already style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

But u havn’t answered my question:
should i first update from 0.4.5 to 0.5.0 and then to 0.5.1 or shoukd i update directly from 0.4.5 to 0.5.1 ?

Sure i will update, i just got confused by the amount if error and bug reports for 0.5.0 and 0.5.1 - hope i will get no error or bug style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

Greets
yamyam


(HHenning) #5

Hello,

I would wait some days - I have Problem with it:
forum.piwik.org/index.php?showtopic=2561


(XSK8) #6

[quote=yamyam @ Dec 11 2009, 07:45 AM]…
But u havn’t answered my question:
should i first update from 0.4.5 to 0.5.0 and then to 0.5.1 or shoukd i update directly from 0.4.5 to 0.5.1 ?…[/quote]
This is what i’d like to know as well!

I have currently 4 istalls of piwik running on different servers & providers and had really a bunch of problems with updating this time… style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif
For one i lost two days of tracking data because the provider needed 48 hours to set index rights to the database user … etc. pp…

Exept of one i have updated all the installs and the last one is Piwik 0.4.2.
Can I update this maually to 0.5? and if yes where to find the files? Or should I simply update manually to the latest version? Or maybe better waiting for 0.5.2?

Sorry but I got the impression that this Update is not properly tested and can cause some realy annoing days style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif


(yamyam) #7

WoW!

There really seem to be a lot of problems with 0.5.x and i think i will wait urgently for the next update as the risk of updating my two installations on two servers are to high at the moment.

I just wonder why the piwik team is realeasing an update which is beta and making such tremendous trouble !? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

Anyone knows when 0.5.2 will finally come to fix all those problems?

Greetings


(Matthieu Aubry) #8

The upgrade is not buggy as such, however the update can take a long time. Every time it fails for users, it is because the upgrade was triggered multiple times, or hit the timeout. Obviously, it would be nicer if Piwik dealt with these edge cases by, for example, rolling back the database modifications to a previous version. The best solution is to execute the update using command line if you have access to it (eg. “php /path/to/piwik/index.php” ) as explained in the update message. We will be pushing 0.5.2 very soon that will adress most of these issues.


(yamyam) #9

Ok great to hear 0.5.2 will come soon.

May i ask to get my question answered now? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif

If i am updating several versions at once, like for example:
0.3 to 0.4
or
0.4.1 to 0.5.2

Should we also update version to version to version or is it ok to upgrade all at once?

For me … i am running 0.4.5 actually.
I am waiting now for 0.5.2 will be out.
Should i update then 0.4.5 -> 0.5.0 -> 0.5.1 -> 0.5.2
or 0.4.5. -> 0.5.2 ?

Thanks for answering and continue this good work!


(Matthieu Aubry) #10

It’s ok to upgrade all at once, just make you click only once on the button, and wait for it to finish. Also, you can try to execute in command line as explained in the update screen, if you have access to your server.


(yamyam) #11

Hi!

I do always run the updates manually. (No automatic update)

So it’s ok to manually update from 0.4.5 to 0.5.2 -right?
Then i go to the piwik index page and do the database update. Is it this what you mean with “just click once” ?

Greets
yamyam


(Matthieu Aubry) #12

Yes, it worked fine for hundreds of users, unfortunately a few had issues, but most are fine.


(yamyam) #13

Ok great!

So “overjumping” some versions is making no problems?
What happens if there would be some database changes in 0.5.0 and 0.5.1?
Will those be done also if i just upgrade to 0.5.2 directly?
Know what i mean? Doesn’t i miss any database changes if i “overjump” several versions?

IF NOT:
Then i will directly and manually update from 0.4.5 -> 0.5.2

Hope everything works then and the database is updated correctly.

Thx


(Matthieu Aubry) #14

Piwik executes all intermediary updates automatically.