Tag Manager does not push events

Hi,

I am testing Matomo Tag Manager, but I am unable to send Events to backend.

What I have configured:

• Trigger “click-test” - Click element with ID “click-me”
  • Tags - Event type; “test” as category, action and event name; executed when “click-test” is triggered.

Behaviour:

• Page views are being registered. But,
  • If I use preview mode (i.e., using ?mtmPreviewMode=xxxxxx), I can see events being properly managed.
  • If I don’t use preview mode, events do not appear on Dashboard > Behaviour > Events.

I don’t see any JS exception on firefox / chrome console. Adblocker is disabled. Apache access log shows no attempt to contact matomo backend when the event is triggered.

Nonetheless, If I change tag for custom html and inject a direct call to _paq.push([‘trackEvent’, ‘test’, ‘test’, ‘test’])… then it works! Even without preview mode. But then I lose the option to send the text of the button that has been clicked.

I’m using the latest version of browsers and matomo (3.14.0) on-premise.

Any idea on what could be wrong on my configuration?

Do you see the events in the Visits Log?

Except those sent by directly using _paq.push, only page views are shown on visits log.

I was able to fix the issue :slight_smile:

Tag Manager Variables (those that hold matomo configuration) cannot use special characters (in my locale, “Configuración Matomo”… which is the default value). When changed to “ConfiguracionMatomomo”, everything is working.

FYI this was potentially fixed as part of Matomo 4 in https://github.com/matomo-org/tag-manager/pull/219

1 Like