Strange output after update to 1.1.1 (solved)

After upgrading to 1.1.1 I get a strange output when I change the date range (see below and image attached). Clicking on “Overview” gets me back to normal.

So far this has only happened in Firefox (3.6). I logged out, cleared caches and deleted cookies, but the problem stays the same.

This is the output:

���������������������HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:35:05 GMT Server: Apache Pragma: Expires: Cache-Control: no-store, must-revalidate Content-Encoding: gzip Vary: Accept-Encoding Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=196 Connection: Keep-Alive Transfer-Encoding: chunked Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8 b7e ��������Z�r�8}���͔���dn�q�-Ǘ�3���Lj&q� �%bDZ����-�2߰O��� EJ�6S��rD�e��qi�|�\�ƚ�1�9�u�7:�I��?��hI� �f�+�Gf�e� ipw&�����7�$��N�����1�S~��{b�"M)a�P�aJ�q�%ԣ8 �.�/"��"Gd�.$U�5:qQ�+� �ѱߏ��af��<RuW2��Q�PH��A��A\�q��7}��Ȫ� �x>1�wl-��31��"18%-h�r���V�\wRɯ�?Ud��_�� ��s�֜Wkn2�#V�y�y�Zs�g2Um’YO8�Un4�F횞������������ok�ȫ���$���֜��Z���k ;|X��sM�u�¶&DapՀ)l�z*\�S�qp4i���)l�Zb�S���7 2�O�߀�L?����Hf�� ��}N;@��l~e5Q�1G ��d<�&��5se��\�,��G� ���BL� �_�� �k1�El�m��}]��S��V�[à��jt<ԇ’aeq(bSW<�Y���BRD_0 a?_���䥫E���:�V��.��q�wD��Tzwa�w%a� �{� !��g!q�cCP$)��5$� �� >�{/m����Lu%eF��Ѩ�?��"����޳�娟A��!L�q7La��uʋb����s|P��㛙� a�e�Mq#�U�����b��Gj�R�4a�ؤM�wwH��fJ%�’I&Uu��’3��E �d�)�59�Q<�e����Ġ5fS6����6��#�F: ��6�� ."149�e�7p�.��l$3�]Y�F��E ���9A;�8c�eв�=m��S��ESH�-j�n�䫒��=#��3�5U����s�Qq9q���~�H�B��� �qN�ew0��H��)|�=�L�cG(�ڧ�<���4��̌����e;.� 2��?>�������ٻ7�wa���s3��e�"B\�A�ٝ��&�[��o�����xY/=��ScL?|�98��#�S�y�L�~�3S8�zQⴏ��D��eIǾ�/!WaR�a��c*i�mcϝ9���PSIa�h�Q�bAV�*��޿�Ģ��c�#�� ��J��K;��N{!O���ef0Ff.�$��@�G����†BSŊZ�ɽS�;%ܝĎM��X�J�Yi}3��K����Q�n�Tt����v��S\��� >�S!=լ;W��Y[M��>:߄%X�{pE�G�kLa�L��~N��8��w�(%��P.��� ����l���e�%�ↅ�=�r�]¸�b�큜�4�+D ��_��|���$��pZb��H�&&G��4a�k&��Ñ������ׁ0��a��R��T*j��*a��K�^�I�C��N}}6~3&��� ���% $�g�p�=Z-�T�a��JJ'64�d)�e�fF4Q���;H^r��3Idley���#$��u���H���E��M�j��ȕ/�X�D�8�i 44�e��jX�Gb�M�e���&SV�W�5�Ȝ��c:+>FϞ�wܜ��C�G&�n���� �nư⊿�D������L����ux|�,“�]$k�0p1�1ۯ�1O�)�5LzH,_��B�u�PS����Lx��F�K0[(�:��Eo�<���Z��]���-�s�k��zX�����ٔw������7�mβ��XYi�b��OVg=6�6��8��F���5�c�q�V*�W��X�����(46����� T{aI�v�A_�e�.�{�7��.v�� o��5��n5>2ڨ�T�����fZ"�ɘS�#�pi��F�n?��[_��m����7ZY�s������{8+�a(�P�/��\���(t�������!<�Br�ܣ����h�����҂$LB�\��v��~�L���-M”,����x���@�-��8:#p,�����8a�� ^�a?�Րr�@c�6L���jiڕ�,�U�C�J�G^K1U͹�E�@>�E&[?���v>�p�7�����.�)B@>v�8t��58�^z�،�%^ H�!©���5n���#�Lڙ���%��0H�:L.{e@�R��>��K�a�r�bqX�?�PYC<�e�֟����q�(��rҜ6�a�=d�tL��Z��/M��˓�|��wk}s�es(6O�O��45������Iq��E~��hن�h��ş+e�,�dn3�7�����$��1��)ɯ8��G���#�3������g��o��=���eq_٣ݟsGx �^�zxe��X����,N/������|O[�p��?��=��e�V�̶H��%=M�gn��+�’Oؠ��1H&��Vt�� ���&��AP/���]�Z�����g�1�x}��7/���wssԆT�q+_��������w��߽���\y&w��Ex^�j�� s���xTBŭZ��ݦ�:�3]J.^c�j� >�YK: �i-�1�L�<�О-��b8��v��n���PD �K��=3X�gu9�M���’-t��3j�’b�ki��b���c|���@��L��!�W�ݹ&S��LS��o���b���H��pN{~��Lh��[�n �E�w ��6�¾�5�J�w�S�/j:�y��!� }��<��1�F��c��J�%]�>�n���F��2�1��!5΀nġ�~B�D�u��9�t�a���’%����9_��*��^����a�;@g�d��ϓ��� �R�Jo�p��D3��I�Iyu�-yu�Z���������:�{-�� 0

Piwik goesn’t compress html output, so the broken compression is probably a conflict between Apache and your php.ini settings.

Thanks vipsoft. Can you also tell me how that conflict could be solved?

There are a number of different settings that could be causing it. You’ll have to check your Apache config and php.ini.

Examples:

• Apache: mod_deflate
  • PHP: output_handler, zlib.output_handler, or zlib.output_compression=On

(Wrappers using auto_prepend_file/auto_append_file may also have an effect.)

But why would those settings cause trouble if they didn’t before the upgrade? Has something changed regarding those settings in 1.1.1?

See if this patch helps: http://dev.piwik.org/trac/changeset/3630/trunk/core/Piwik.php

No, that patch doesn’t change anything.

Piwik can’t detect Apache’s mod_deflate, so try disabling that, and restarting the web server process.

Hm, I can’t do that myself, I’ll have to ask the provider. But was this any different before 1.1.1?

Has been solved by disabling the following in php.ini:

;zlib.output_compression = 1
;output_buffering = Off
;output_handler =

Thanks for the hints.