SSL Protocol errors in Safari 8 only

Hello community,

I have recently made some changes to my SSL configuration (using nginx with PHP FPM) to increase my rating on SSL Server Test (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs).
Now I observe issues with Piwik 2.8.3 in Safari 8.0 (10600.1.25). Chrome and Firefox show no problems at all.

I can access the dashboard for all sites and settings without any problems, but as soon as I try to open details for a single site I get a protocol error NSPOSIXErrorDomain: 100 and Safari shows nothing but the error.

I can open this link:
https://piwik.domain.org/index.php?module=UsersManager&action=userSettings&idSite=1&period=day&date=yesterday

But I cannot open this one (protocol error):
https://piwik.domain.org/index.php?module=CoreHome&action=index&date=yesterday&period=day&idSite=3

Has anyone else seen a similar issue yet? I know too little about PHP specifics to tell whether there is something wrong on the PHP side of things or my nginx configuration is faulty. I am only running Node.JS behind nginx, so I would like to keep it as it is also my reverse proxy for a couple of other sites, so switching to Apache would not be an option (I’d rather use Piwik exclusively with Chrome).

You can find my current configuration in this gist:

Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

(Matthieu Aubry) #2

Hi there, Sorry i have no idea - maybe it’s a bug in the browser? Or if it’s a bug in piwik, we would need more information to find out.

Hello,

I’ve just come accross the same error and I have a bit more info about the issue.

I’m getting this error with Safari 8 . 0 . 5 (10600.5.17)

It happens with the webserver is compatible with SPDY or HTTP/2 protocol.

Piwik is the only script that it happens on.

It doesn’t happen if you call an image file, just when you call the index.php pwik script. I think it could be related to Piwik’s cookie.

If it a bug with Safari, it doesn’t explain why Piwik seems to be the only script affected.

If I trun of SPDY & HTTP / 2 the error goes away and it works.

That sounds reasonable - SPDY being to blame.
I have actually moved on from Safari and use Piwik with Chrome exclusively now.

I’m currelty looking into removing HttpOnly from piwik’s cookie to see if that is what is causing the issue or not…

(Matthieu Aubry) #6

Hi guys,

thank you for the report. It’s definitely something we’d like to follow up: make Piwik work well with Safari is important.

Do you mind creating an issue on the issue tracker? Issues · matomo-org/piwik · GitHub
maybe we could continue the discussion there and this way the product team won’t forget about this issue :slight_smile:

We’ve posted a new issue, and I have sent you a URL where to can see the issue by PM.

(Matthieu Aubry) #8

If anyone knows how to fix this issue, we would love to hear in: SPDY errors with Safari 8 + Piwik admin · Issue #7867 · matomo-org/piwik · GitHub

(Matthieu Aubry) #9

Hi everyone

do you still have the problem with latest Piwik and latest safari version? if so, please leave a comment in the bug report: SPDY errors with Safari 8 + Piwik admin · Issue #7867 · matomo-org/piwik · GitHub