SQL (not PHP!) running out of memory after upgrade to 1.8.4

Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I’ve been using Piwik with no trouble at all for maybe one year, despite running it on a shared hosting account. Been upgrading online to each new version as it came out.

After the upgrade to 1.8.4 – which went fine according to the messages – trying to go to the All Websites dashboard yields this error message:

SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 5 Out of memory (Needed 6710880 bytes)

And this humongous backtrace:

#0 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/libs/Zend/Db/Statement.php(300): Zend_Db_Statement_Pdo->_execute(Array)
#1 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/libs/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#2 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/libs/Zend/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Abstract.php(238): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('????SELECT?????...', Array)
#3 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/Db/Adapter/Pdo/Mysql.php(220): Zend_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Abstract->query('????SELECT?????...', Array)
#4 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/plugins/Actions/Actions.php(767): Piwik_Db_Adapter_Pdo_Mysql->query('????SELECT?????...', Array)
#5 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/plugins/Actions/Actions.php(574): Piwik_Actions->archiveDayQueryProcess('log_action.name...', Array, 'log_link_visit_...', '`12` DESC, name...', 'log_action.idac...', 'idaction_url', Object(Piwik_ArchiveProcessing_Day), Object(Piwik_RankingQuery))
#6 [internal function]: Piwik_Actions->archiveDay(Object(Piwik_Event_Notification))
#7 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/libs/Event/Dispatcher.php(284): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#8 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/PluginsManager.php(668): Event_Dispatcher->postNotification(Object(Piwik_Event_Notification), false, false)
#9 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/ArchiveProcessing/Day.php(45): Piwik_PostEvent('ArchiveProcessi...', Object(Piwik_ArchiveProcessing_Day))
#10 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/ArchiveProcessing.php(498): Piwik_ArchiveProcessing_Day->compute()
#11 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/Archive/Single.php(226): Piwik_ArchiveProcessing->launchArchiving()
#12 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/Archive/Single.php(256): Piwik_Archive_Single->prepareArchive()
#13 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/Archive/Single.php(447): Piwik_Archive_Single->get('nb_visits', 'numeric')
#14 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/ArchiveProcessing/Period.php(95): Piwik_Archive_Single->getNumeric('nb_visits')
#15 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/ArchiveProcessing/Period.php(49): Piwik_ArchiveProcessing_Period->archiveNumericValuesGeneral(Array, 'sum')
#16 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/ArchiveProcessing/Period.php(302): Piwik_ArchiveProcessing_Period->archiveNumericValuesSum(Array)
#17 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/ArchiveProcessing/Period.php(269): Piwik_ArchiveProcessing_Period->isThereSomeVisits()
#18 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/ArchiveProcessing.php(498): Piwik_ArchiveProcessing_Period->compute()
#19 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/Archive/Single.php(226): Piwik_ArchiveProcessing->launchArchiving()
#20 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/Archive/Array/IndexedBySite.php(192): Piwik_Archive_Single->prepareArchive()
#21 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/Archive/Array/IndexedBySite.php(131): Piwik_Archive_Array_IndexedBySite->getArchiveIdsAfterLaunching(Array)
#22 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/Archive/Array/IndexedBySite.php(108): Piwik_Archive_Array_IndexedBySite->loadValuesFromDB(Array)
#23 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/Archive/Array/IndexedBySite.php(73): Piwik_Archive_Array_IndexedBySite->getValues(Array)
#24 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/plugins/MultiSites/API.php(192): Piwik_Archive_Array_IndexedBySite->getDataTableFromNumeric(Array)
#25 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/plugins/MultiSites/API.php(112): Piwik_MultiSites_API->buildDataTable('all', 'range', 'last7', false, false, false)
#26 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/plugins/MultiSites/Controller.php(65): Piwik_MultiSites_API->getAll('range', 'last7', false)
#27 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/plugins/MultiSites/Controller.php(37): Piwik_MultiSites_Controller->getSitesInfo(Object(Piwik_View))
#28 [internal function]: Piwik_MultiSites_Controller->index()
#29 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/core/FrontController.php(138): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#30 /home/claudeb/public_html/felix/php/piwik/index.php(53): Piwik_FrontController->dispatch()
#31 {main}

and since no navigation is displayed I can’t even try to go somewhere else.

I tried running the archive script manually, but I lack shell access and for the aforementioned reason I can’t get to my auth token to run the script in the browser. Needless to say, changing the PHP memory limits is also out of the question, assuming I’m wrong and the problem is in PHP after all.

Thanks in advance, and sorry to pester.

Edit: Forgot to mention I’m tracking a handful of websites with very low traffic.

Sorry I’m not sure about this one, it must be a configuration setting in my.cnf mysql config file… Can you try increase some values there or research the error message to see what comes up online ?

Of course! I should have started with a search. The best match I found is this thread from two years ago: 301 Moved Permanently

Looks like it’s time to talk to my hosting provider… thanks again!