Shockwave Player Problem

(Wilbirion) #1

I have a problem that only occurs when the Piwik JS script is on my pages. Every time I load/reload a page I get the following message bx with progress bar:

“Please wait while Windows configures Adobe Shockwave Player”

I allow this to complete but then on the next page (or on refersh) it is back.

I am viewing my pages through IE6 (not through choice) and am out of ideas except for taking out the Piwik JS.

(vipsoft) #2

uninstall shockwave player, run regclean (or another registry cleaner), and reinstall.

Adobe believes this is due to a corrupted registry entry.

(haneyman) #3

We are getting this behavior from many users but not all.
A dialog box appears prompting the location for the Shockwave installer. Users are using IE6. When we remove the piwik javascript, the problem goes away.

Has anyone found a better solution than “clean the registry” ?

(vipsoft) #4

We’re currently discussing how to handle the ongoing plugin issues witth IE. Stay tuned.

(Wilbirion) #5

For the time being we have done the following:

In order to stop this the JS file on the Piwik server has been modified to remove all instances of _pk_dir which is the reference for the Director (Shockwave) plugin.

The file is located at:

/home/piwikuser/public_html/piwik.js

(gre3d) #6

any updates on this issue?

We have been forced to remove Piwik from some sites cause of this IE6/adobe issue

(vipsoft) #7

It was a difficult decision, balancing data collection vs the user experience, but we have opted to remove Internet Explorer-specific plugin detection (using CreateObject or ActiveXObject to instantiate the plugin) in the upcoming Piwik release. I wouldn’t hold my breath but can only hope Microsoft will one day follow other browser vendors in supporting the navigator.mimeTypes collection.