Scheduled tasks running at the wrong time?

I’m trying to figure out if this is a bug in Piwik, a configuration issue or normal operation.

Our server is set for the Eastern time zone. The current time on the server is 10:07 AM. When I go to the Scheduled Tasks screen for the TasksTimetable plugin it reports this:
The following tasks are scheduled to be executed based on the current server time Friday 20 February 2015 15:07:53.

It looks like this is reporting the time in UTC and not following the server time. Likewise, it looks like it is intending to schedule/run the tasks at midnight. However, these end up running at 7 PM Eastern (which would be midnight UTC).

Piwik\Plugins\CorePluginsAdmin\Tasks.clearAllCacheEntries	Saturday 21 February 2015 00:00:04
(in 8 hours 53 min)
Piwik\Plugins\CoreAdminHome\Tasks.optimizeArchiveTable	Saturday 21 February 2015 00:00:04
(in 8 hours 53 min)
Piwik\Plugins\PrivacyManager\Tasks.deleteReportData	Saturday 21 February 2015 00:00:04
(in 8 hours 53 min)
Piwik\Plugins\PrivacyManager\Tasks.deleteLogData	Saturday 21 February 2015 00:00:04
(in 8 hours 53 min)
Piwik\Plugins\CoreAdminHome\Tasks.purgeInvalidatedArchives	Saturday 21 February 2015 00:00:08
(in 8 hours 53 min)
Piwik\Plugins\CoreUpdater\Tasks.sendNotificationIfUpdateAvailable	Saturday 21 February 2015 00:00:12
(in 8 hours 53 min)
Piwik\Plugins\CoreAdminHome\Tasks.purgeOutdatedArchives	Saturday 21 February 2015 00:00:41
(in 8 hours 53 min)

I’ve also noticed that in any log files that Piwik generates, the time reported on each line is again in UTC and not the server time. In the Piwik dashboard, the Visits by Server Time report appears to be using the correct server time.

So, my question:
Is the intention for Piwik to run the scheduled tasks at midnight server time (and not midnight UTC)? Midnight server time would make sense because this would be a lower traffic period for most web sites.

We’re having another issue with the archive process taking a long time at 7 PM Eastern/midnight UTC that may or may not be related to this. I will create a new post for that in case they are unrelated.

Edit: should mention this is on 2.10.0

Hi there,

Thanks for the report. Can you please create bug report at; Issues · matomo-org/piwik · GitHub

likely it’s just a messaging issue but we would like to fix it to make this clear.

After updating to 2.11.1 I am still seeing the same thing.

Issue has been created:

I can confirm on my 2.11.b3 server that Email Alerts are sent at midnight, EAST Time / Montreal /New York time here as expected.

Still, the CLI generate UTC time logs.

Dali

The scheduled email reports aren’t necessarily the issue here. It is the timing of the internal daily tasks that Piwik executes. More of a discussion on this is starting to happen in the GitHub issue.