Scaling server progression & server migration/upgrades?

Hi folks,

First post :slight_smile:

Curious to see and read about other folks scaling and upgrading progression for server hardware requirements to serve Piwik as your instance(s) grow :slight_smile:

Anyone got any stories regarding what type of server hardware/hosting you started off with for hosting Piwik to begin with and how your server hardware and hosting requirements have changed as your Piwik instance(s) have grown ?

I plan to setup a Piwik instance using my Centmin Mod LEMP web stack which installs Nginx, PHP-FPM and MariaDB MySQL server on CentOS (along with Memcached server + memcache/memcached PHP extensions).

I plan to use Nginx with GeoIP module support and PHP with GeoIP Extension support as well. Most likely will be using Nginx 1.7.7, PHP-FPM 5.6.2 + Zend OpCache and MariaDB 10.0.14 MySQL with Memcached 1.4.21 server with the following hardware

KVM VPS server
CentOS 6.6
4 cpu threads
1GB memory
80GB SSD Cache backed HDD

From what I read so far:

1. MySQL disk usage would be roughly 1GB per 5 million pageviews
  2. CPU usage minimum 2 cpu threads/cores required ?
  3. As you grow PHP memory_limit would need raising by default Centmin Mod sets it to 256MB

How hard is to it migrate Piwik installed instances when upgrading or moving servers ? And how does that affect sites which are loading the Piwik’s instance tracking code and js files ?

thanks

George

1Gb ram is too low if you have medium to high traffic websites - RAM is key for mysql