:S Piwik only tracking 2-5 out of 60-100 visitors?

I just installed Piwik the other day- Monday, to be exact. But it is not tracking all my visitors. On the one full day I have my stats say I had 6 visits. My old stat tracker (that I still am keeping for now) says over 100. Today, I’ve had “4” visits, but actually have 60+ so far.

I found this thread and applied the .js patch (replaced the whole file), but it didn’t change a thing.

Thanks! Piwik seems like an awesome software, so I can’t wait to get it working properly!

Check that the JS code on the page is OK, no JS error, that piwik URL is OK, etc

Well, I have checked everything already and it all looks good to me. I’ve been studying all the instructions carefully, especially since js isn’t my forte.

Here’s my website, if that can help: http://www.glutenfreemakeupgal.com/
I installed Piwik in the sub-directory “Analytics”.

In the JS code you forgot to put the www.

your server redirects to www causing the problem

Oh! Well, that would make sense. lol Thank you!!! I’ve fixed that, so I suppose it’s a waiting game to see if that was the issue.

Thank you so much!! I’ll be back if need be, but here’s hopin’ I’m not. :smiley:

Nope… Same problem today. Darn!

Any other ideas?

I’m having this same problem. I installed Piwik a few days ago on 3 different sites. I’m seeing about 10% of the total visitors that Google analytics is showing.

Any updates on this problem?

The Gal tracking looks OK now, so please check your server error logs for some pointers if it is still not working.

page1pro what’s your website tracking only 10% ?

Matt, I don’t see any errors related to Piwik in my server log… I searched the document but there is no mention of anything Piwik.

Thanks so much for your help so far! Do you have any other ideas? XD

Just got off an hour and ten min chat with my hosting service tech support. He could find absolutely nothing on the server end that would interfere with Piwik’s javascript tracking.

So I’m still stuck! :sunglasses:

Same here! Still not getting accurate reports… :frowning:

Any other good alternatives to Google Analytics?

Not that I currently know of… But I suppose I’ll be finding out soon if this continues. I wish I knew what the problem was! Piwik seems fabulous!

I know - heard so many good reviews about Piwik. You would think we’d get some sort of response here. I sent a PM to Matt a week ago and haven’t heard anything…

Your shadowbox script has a click handler that calls preventDefault. When it does, it blocks other click handlers from executing (e.g., Piwik’s link tracking).

I only looked at the home page. There might be other JavaScript interactions on other pages.

You don’t mention what your other stats package is. But if it’s server log-based, then a difference is expected, as Piwik requires JavaScript and inherently excluded many bots, as well as users who have JavaScript disabled.

Not much help, here, but before seeing this I JUST posted the identical question…pretty much. My buddy uses Google Analytics to tell me what is going on, traffic-wise, with some sites (as odd as it sounds, I’ve never fooled with Google Analytics). But I was using a Wordpress plug-in called “TrackThatStat” - and I am seeing the same kind of differences that you’re seeing. It’s about a 6 or 7 to-one downturn in traffic - well, “reported” traffic according to Piwik. Difficult to understand how the differences could be that dramatic, given that so few people don’t have Java installed.

Even stranger: I have one Wordpress site that has a lengthy article I’ve written about - of all things - a UFO encounter I experienced. That page has always gotten quite a few hits - there are links to the thing on numerous forums on the web. In two weeks that page hasn’t had one view, according to Piwik - which is impossible.

[quote=vipsoft]
Your shadowbox script has a click handler that calls preventDefault. When it does, it blocks other click handlers from executing (e.g., Piwik’s link tracking).

I only looked at the home page. There might be other JavaScript interactions on other pages.[/quote]

Oh! Well! That would explain it! Do you have any idea how to turn that off, or do I need to ask the shadowbox people?

And I have even less JavaScript on all my other pages, so I’m sure that’s the problem…

[quote=vipsoft]
You don’t mention what your other stats package is. But if it’s server log-based, then a difference is expected, as Piwik requires JavaScript and inherently excluded many bots, as well as users who have JavaScript disabled.[/quote]

Yes, I do expect some difference. Just not like this… But it sounds like preventDefault really would be the issue. I’m woefully ignorant on how JavaScript works, so would never have caught that myself. Thank you!!

OK, so, I have an update from the Shadowbox side of things. He details some fixes on the SB end that I’m having a hard time understanding how to merge with the Piwik end.

Here’s the link.

Piwik Gurus, does this make sense to y’all?

He says your URL returns 404, which to me says that maybe your webhost enabled mod_security which is causing tracking to fail. please ask your webhost to white list your domain and cehck erorr logs

Checked with my web host again yesterday and they whitelisted my domain for mod_security. It removed the error on the page, but I’m still having the same problem. Is the SB guy’s solution still one that would be applicable?