Referring Sites Dashboard Widget Bug

Apologies if this is a duplicate.

Whenever I go to my dashboard, in the list of referring sites widget, when I expand a domain name to show the actual pages that were referrals (For example, opening “site.com” to reveal “index.html” and “links.html”), the display names are fine, but the actual links are completely broken. For example, if you were to click on “Mysite.com > index.html”, it would instead link to “someothersite.com > page.php” or something like that. Only the link targets are messed up, the display, and inbound statistics are fine.

This is probably the same issue as: http://dev.piwik.org/trac/ticket/1024

try to look at yesterday stats, the issue shouldnt be there, only for today. You can also increase frequency of reports from 10 seconds to 120 or something.

[quote=matthieu @ Jul 29 2010, 01:16 AM]This is probably the same issue as: dev.piwik.org/trac/ticket/1024

try to look at yesterday stats, the issue shouldnt be there, only for today. You can also increase frequency of reports from 10 seconds to 120 or something.[/quote]
My site is a medium-volume site (~5000 visits/day), and I generate reports every 15 minutes.

And the tracker bug you linked to sounded sort of like what’s going on here, but I use cron to update my reports, and this bug seems to happen every time, not just when the reports update in the background.

[quote=SpikeX @ Jul 29 2010, 03:29 AM]My site is a medium-volume site (~5000 visits/day), and I generate reports every 15 minutes.

And the tracker bug you linked to sounded sort of like what’s going on here, but I use cron to update my reports, and this bug seems to happen every time, not just when the reports update in the background.[/quote]

Ok then it might be a different issue. Can you please send me the link to your piwik + login/pwd and bug description by email? Thanks

No, I can’t. I think that’s an absolutely horrible way to track bugs for a software product. What would happen if Adobe just said “Okay, we’re going to need to take control of your computer so we can find this bug.” Or how about Drupal, “We’re gonna need the administration username and password, and a link to your drupal site.” It’s completely unacceptable. It’s a violation of privacy, and I highly recommend that you discontinue that practice. It’s very unprofessional.

My Piwik has sensitive data on it that I will not share with anyone else. And I already described the bug to you, but if you prefer I add it to your Trac website, I’d be happy to do that.

[quote=SpikeX @ Jul 30 2010, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I can’t. I think that’s an absolutely horrible way to track bugs for a software product. What would happen if Adobe just said “Okay, we’re going to need to take control of your computer so we can find this bug.” Or how about Drupal, “We’re gonna need the administration username and password, and a link to your drupal site.”

You should tell Microsoft not to enable “Remote Assistance” by default when installing Windows. Piwik isn’t like other apps. It doesn’t have a “Remote Assistance” feature like Windows. It doesn’t send crash reports back to anyone.

It’s completely unacceptable. It’s a violation of privacy, and I highly recommend that you discontinue that practice. It’s very unprofessional.

It’s a big stretch to call it a violation of privacy. I think you meant confidentiality … but it would only be a violation if we had a non-disclosure agreement in place and we used the data for anything other than providing support.

You may think it’s unprofessional, but in many environments, this is standard operating practice. In a previous job, we provided 24/7 application support to enterprise customers (e.g., utilities, cable and telcos]My Piwik has sensitive data on it that I will not share with anyone else. And I already described the bug to you, but if you prefer I add it to your Trac website, I’d be happy to do that.[/quote]

Sometimes a symptom doesn’t tell us where the problem lies. If we can’t reproduce the problem, then we need to know more about the client (browser), the host system, and/or the data. The less we understand the circumstances, the more difficult it is to narrow down the cause. And if we can’t diagnose it, then we can’t fix it.

FYI everyone has sensitive data in their Piwik, you can be sure

• I don’t care about it
  • I am not going to save/reuse the credentials
  • I just want to fix the bug.

We fixed many bugs this way for the reasons Anthon explained.

I don’t see the problem either.
I think its a great offer from the piwik team to look at the issues directly at your install. Its a lot of work to work this way, I know that from supporting other projects.