Re-Install Failure

I have been using Matomo for a few years without issues - originally installed via Softaculous in my CPanel and regularly updated.

A few days back I attempted to upgrade to the latest version.

Anyhow during install there was an error which was uncommon but I put this down to an internet glitch.

A day or so later Google advised me of some 5XX errors on my site.

I contacted my web host who advised that the errors were related to Matomo and the php version that I was using on my site was possibly out of date as far as Matomo was concerned.

I updated my php version to 7.4

I also checked that Mysql database was still present in my CPanel.

However Matomo refused to function.

I figured that it was maybe time to consider a fresh install.

I had read that if I were to do a fresh install of Matomo it was important to download the config.ini.php file as it contained all relevant info on my database - I downloaded the file and deleted all other folders and files from my Piwik directory.

I then set about attempting a clean install by downloading the latest Matomo version from the Matomo website - unzipping the downloaded file and then FTP’ing all the folders and files into the original Piwik directory on my server.

After the upload and visiting a web browser there are no configuration options available I am met with a blank page except for the Matomo logo.

Opening the error_log in the Piwik directory shows the following but I have no clue as to use this information;

[08-Aug-2021 12:06:11 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /home/csmltdco/public_html/piwik/vendor/wikimedia/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Selector.php on line 101
[08-Aug-2021 12:06:11 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /home/csmltdco/public_html/piwik/core/FrontController.php on line 256
[08-Aug-2021 12:07:53 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /home/csmltdco/public_html/piwik/vendor/wikimedia/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Selector.php on line 101
[08-Aug-2021 12:07:53 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 20480 bytes) in /home/csmltdco/public_html/piwik/core/FrontController.php on line 256

I am lost as to what I need to do now - can anyone advise?

Regards

Paul

Hi,

This are just 33MB which is really little memory to run Matomo. Can you try increasing it to e.g. 128MB or 265MB?

Hi Lukas

Thank you kindly for your response.

However I am unsure as to how I should go about increasing the memory size - would it be possible for you to provide a step by step instruction for for this?

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

This totally depends on your php setup. If you have set up the server and have access to the php.ini take a look at memory_limit. If not, you might need to ask whoever is responsible for your webserver

Hi Lukas

Looking at the install via my FTP I also note that when installing the latest version of Matomo there is no config.ini.php file created.

Please see attached screenshot.

If I then add my saved config.ini.php to the config folder Matomo still refuses to work.

It seems to me that whatever the developers have done in the latest version it has totally screwed up my installation and I fear I will have to totally abandon Matomo.
Paul

Hi,

I think the update didn’t change anything, but whenever Matomo installs an update it clears all caches which means things like the CSS files and other assets have to be regenerated which is a bit more resource intensive than a normal request to Matomo.
And if you (or your webhost) limit the amount of Memory Matomo is allowed to use for this to less than what a computer 20 years ago had (33MB), then this will not be enough to successfully create the CSS files and Matomo will simply fail with the above error (and the installation will not succeed and not config.ini.php is generated therefore)