Problem updating my piwik

Hello.

i have a problem with my piwik.
I tried to update my piwik from 0.4.5 to 0.5.5. and got the message “Database upgrade necessary”. I clicked the “upgrade piwik” button and got the message “piwik has been updated”.

BUT when i go back to the piwik start page the statistics are not shown properly.
I get the message (translated from german: Lade Daten… Oops… es ist ein Problem während der Anfrage aufgetreten, bitte noch einmal versuchen.):
“Loading data… oops…an error has occured during the query, please try again.”

I have reset the “version_core” back to “0.4.5” in the “piwik_option” table and tried to update again. Also without success.

I dont have an idea what to do now.
Can you give me a hint?

Best regards!

The automated update was inadvertently broken in 0.4.4 and 0.4.5. If you are running either of these versions, please update manually to 0.5 and beyond.

Hi.
Thank you for the answer.

I tried to update the system manually. I have overwrite all files on the ftp-server and later replaced the config files with the old one.

If i go to the startsite of my piwik, i get the mentioned error/update message.

Do you have any idea what else i can do?

Best regards.

Have you had a good look through the Forum to see whether others might have already experienced this issue?

i updated from 5.4 to 5.5…

no css is loaded, so its only plain text with links shown.
the database upgrade seams to be done successfull,

im a little bit angry about that, every time in the past it works…
but the whole software is a huge success.

"Dashboard All Websites Widgets API
Hallo, XXX! | Einstellungen | Webseite XXX.de Site
| Abmelden

Piwik 0.5.5 ist ein gemeinschaftliches Projekt.
Wenn Ihnen Piwik gefällt, können Sie helfen! Möchten Sie herausfinden wie Sie zu Piwik beitragen können? Piwik Sonntag 4 April 2010 - Tag | Woche | Monat | Jahr

Lade Daten…
Oops… es ist ein Problem während der Anfrage aufgetreten, bitte noch einmal versuchen."

i hope someone can tell me whats to do.
i could try to upload a fresh version to the server tomorrow.

It sounds like your webserver doesn’t like the .htaccess files added in 0.5.5. Check your Apache configuration… do you have “AllowOverride None” or “AllowOverride -Limit”?

In themes/.htaccess, plugins/.htaccess, and libs/.htaccess, can you try removing the line:

Order Deny,Allow

???

[quote=vipsoft @ Apr 5 2010, 09:36 PM]It sounds like your webserver doesn’t like the .htaccess files added in 0.5.5. Check your Apache configuration… do you have “AllowOverride None” or “AllowOverride -Limit”?

In themes/.htaccess, plugins/.htaccess, and libs/.htaccess, can you try removing the line:

Order Deny,Allow

???[/quote]

Thanks for the fast answer.

there was a problem with the permissions, so the apache-server had no rights to read the .htaccess files.
by taking this to 644 all works fine.

Thanks, great Software!

Hello davidak.
That sounds interesting. Its just the same error-message i got.

Can you tell me where this .htaccess-file is located.
In the “root”-directory of piwik i have no .htaccess-file but in the “config”, the “core”, the “js”, the “lang”, the “libs”, the “misc” (called “.htaccess_to_use_later”), the “plugin” and the “themes” directory.

Thanks a lot und Grüße! :slight_smile:

I have the same problem as all of you.

How can we activate some logs about the database acess ? Or somthing like that ?

According to davidak, file permissions were the issue.

tiw, CharlesD: Can you chmod 644 .htaccess ?

The problem is: i dont know which htaccess-file they were talking about!!! style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif
I have no htaccess-file in the root directory of piwik.

Focus on libs/.htaccess themes/.htaccess plugins/.htaccessl

Setting the filepermissions of:
libs/.htaccess
themes/.htaccess
plugins/.htaccess
to 644 or even on 744 didn’t solve my problem.

BUT, if i delete these files everything works fine.
It is a problem if i delete all the htaccess-files? What did they do? Are they important?

Regards!

Same Problem here… tried to modify the permissions with owner and without but still have the Problem.

I Also deleted the “AllowOverride None” in the Apache config but didnt change anything.

Only by deleting the htaccess files it works, any suggestions?

Same here, just as the previous poster, except the apache config edit since I do not know how to access the file (I am on a commercial hoster).

I do not feel very comfortable with deleting the htaccess files, though that seems the only way piwik works since 0.5.5… style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry.gif

so: bump. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

Anthon, could we delete these .htaccess? AFAIK they are not mandatory and don’t necessarily help with security (piwik files, accessed directly, can never execute and do something). thoughts?

I’ll create a ticket for this

There was another AllowOverride statement i didnt see in the Apache Config, which i deleted and now its working style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

For 0.6.1, I made the following changes:

• .htaccess files are generated by the installer and no longer included in the packaged release; so if you had to delete the .htaccess files to make Piwik work, these files won’t re-appear when you auto-update

• if you unpack the release on your desktop and then ftp the files to your server, you won’t be transferring any .htaccess files – avoiding the permissions issue

• I’ve also changed the content of the .htaccess files; a file containing simply “Deny from all” doesn’t actually work (oops)

• finally, I tested with AllowOverride None vs All, and Order deny,allow vs allow,deny

Note: if you have AllowOverride None, the .htaccess files are ignored.