Problem during installation

Hi guys,
I have problems during installation. Didn’t figure out another topic with the same problem. To test it I changed all permissions to 777 +x. Interestingly the generated filename looks like this:

/piwik/tmp/templates_c/wrteqCvJF
and is empty

problem writing temporary file 'tmp/templates_c/wrt4983395f5046b’
Backtrace:

#0 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/libs/Smarty/internals/core.write_file.php(32): Piwik_Smarty->trigger_error('problem writing...')
#1 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/libs/Smarty/internals/core.write_compiled_resource.php(29): smarty_core_write_file(Array, Object(Piwik_Smarty))
#2 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/libs/Smarty/Smarty.class.php(1426): smarty_core_write_compiled_resource(Array, Object(Piwik_Smarty))
#3 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/libs/Smarty/Smarty.class.php(1258): Smarty->_compile_resource('Installation/te...', 'tmp/templates_c...')
#4 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/core/View.php(101): Smarty->fetch('Installation/te...')
#5 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/plugins/Installation/View.php(45): Piwik_View->render()
#6 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/plugins/Installation/Controller.php(68): Piwik_Install_View->render()
#7 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/plugins/Installation/Installation.php(61): Piwik_Installation_Controller->welcome()
#8 [internal function]: Piwik_Installation->startInstallation(Object(Event_Notification))
#9 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/libs/Event/Dispatcher.php(214): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#10 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/core/PluginsManager.php(339): Event_Dispatcher->addObserver(Array, 'FrontController...')
#11 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/core/PluginsManager.php(237): Piwik_PluginsManager->addPluginObservers(Object(Piwik_Installation))
#12 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/core/PluginsManager.php(151): Piwik_PluginsManager->loadPlugins()
#13 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/core/FrontController.php(227): Piwik_PluginsManager->setPluginsToLoad(Array)
#14 /var/wwn/tracking/piwik/index.php(51): Piwik_FrontController->init()
#15 {main}

Any ideas?
Thanks

ok found it out on myself:
delete template_c folder and recreate it with 0777

in piwik-hackers mailing list it was a problem of php safe_mode, disable it and retry.

regards

[quote=frager @ Jan 30 2009, 05:48 PM]ok found it out on myself:
delete template_c folder and recreate it with 0777[/quote]

ok style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Disable safe mode?
I would not recommend this…

[quote=frager @ Jan 30 2009, 07:28 PM]Disable safe mode?
I would not recommend this…[/quote]
In PHP 6.0, safe mode and register globals have been removed. What will you do then?

FYI :
I just figured out the problem with it, the owner of the folder needs to be the owner of your website.
I mean when you install piwik, the owner and group owner of tmp files and folders should be something like apache.
So you just need to change owner with a command line like this : chown ftp_user:ftp_group templates_c
or remove the folder and re-create it with the ftp access so the owner would be the ftp_user.

If i’m not clear or you don’t understand (i guess my english is not so fluent…or my explanation sucks…) just reply and i’ll try to be more explicit.

I’ve got the SAME problem, and:

• I cant’ delete any file under tmp/templates_c/
  • Directory templates_c belongs to user:apache group:apache, permission 0777
  • Directory sessions belongs to user:apache group:apache, permission 0777
  • Directory tmp belongs to my ftpuser, permission 0777

And:

• I’m already tryed to reupload all piwik software except the tmp folder
  • I’m not able to disable php safe mode
  • I’m not able to change tmp owner (php chown does not work and if I try to run trought ftp client “chown apache:apache tmp” the answer is “500 CHOWN not understood”)
  • php script with unlink functions on files inside templates_c does not work
  • I was able to change templates_c and sessions permission ONKLY by a phpscript with chmod

How can i delete all tmp folder or succesfully install piwik?
I’m being crazy!

I’ve solved creating trought ftp tmp directoy and the entire subdirectories (assets, cache, sessions, templates_c).
Permission 0777.