Possible to track custom URL from Newspaper/Magazine ad?

Hi,

Lots more good reading although I’m not too sure how the idea of collecting email addresses came about from my original post? The client doesn’t want anything from the visitors other than to know if they used the custom url or not and hopefully the actual location of the visitor.

It’s a trial to see the response from a local ad campaign and whether or not it would be worth using in the future. No special webpage required with a form for visitors to fill in, and no links from anything online. Just a simple ‘did they come to the website because of the printed ad.’

To be honest I can’t actually work out how to get the extra visitors info within Piwick with regards to the visitors location, type of browser etc. On the Goals page I can just see how many conversions and that’s it. Better than nothing I guess as at least it does tell me how many used the custom url.

I am new to Piwik so will read up more on the .htaccess / campaign solution. I also have full access to create sub domains so will look into that. Anything that will work and give me the visitors information I’m happy with.

Thanks,

Andrew

although I’m not too sure how the idea of collecting email addresses came about from

LOL. That was first a question from me:

Then I thought YOU answered, but then later saw that it was Peter saying “Yes”

That’s why I shared my knowledge about collecting emails from offline newspapers :wink:

I am not sure if that is possible actually to watch that specific information on a specific segmented group. (As for instance see the location, browser type, etc for visitors that comes through a specific campaign. ). This is a custom segmentation that I would like to see (know more about) myself in Piwik.

I couldn’t quite understand how the mod rewrite works so had to read up more elsewhere. I’m not the brightest when it comes to coding :wink:

Ended up creating the subdomain called 2012.mywebsite.com

Then in the root of that I added the .htacess file containing the following

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^2012.mywebsite.com$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.2012.mywebsite.com.com$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ mywebsite.com -&nbspThis website is for sale! -&nbspmywebsite Resources and Information. [R=301,L]

This works great and I see the visits in the ‘List of Campaigns’ widget but no information on where the visitor came from, their browser type or what they had for lunch :frowning:

As you say POS, perhaps that feature isn’t available within Piwick. Enjoying slowly working things out though as it’s all quite interesting

[quote=andrew222]

This works great and I see the visits in the ‘List of Campaigns’ widget but no information on where the visitor came from, their browser type or what they had for lunch :frowning:

As you say POS, perhaps that feature isn’t available within Piwick. Enjoying slowly working things out though as it’s all quite interesting[/quote]

Just use segmentation with “&segment=referrerName=@your-Ad-campaign” for almost all reports within the API. Or when already running Piwik 1.7 just forward the “&segment=referrerName=”-Parameter on your dashboard through the URL. You can find more on segmentation here Segmentation in Piwik

Happy New Year! If you are still using Piwik and interested in the awesome new feature of “Creating a Custom Segment in Piwik and apply to reports in Real time!” we need YOUR help, with a little or big donation at: http://crowdfunding.piwik.org/custom-segments-editor/

This will allow to dynamically add or edit, a new set of rules for example “Show all visitors from USA and using Firefox and using Google”. This will be done via a simple to use interface. See screenshots and more info here: http://crowdfunding.piwik.org/custom-segments-editor/

We are crowd funding the future of Piwik and this feature in particular. With your help we can do it.

Thanks

Matthieu