Piwik segmentation and custom variables (piwik version 1.5)

Dear all,

I have an issue regarding segmentation and custom variables in the “action” section of piwik.

I usually do segmentation by altering the URL of the page I am viewing in piwik, and it works well for all but the custom variables.

My custom variable is set as follow:
piwikTracker.setCustomVariable(1,“layout_variant”,“0”,“visit” ) ;
and it IS working recognized by piwik and I can see its value for instance in the"goals" sections in the interface.

What is not working is a segmentation like the following:
&segment=customVariableName1==layout_variant;customVariableValue1==0

The result I see is a “no data available” warning (“Es stehen keine Daten für diesen Bericht zur Verfügung.” in german).

Am I doing something wrong? Could it be the underscore in the variable name the issue?

Appreciate your help wrt my issue.

It is working in the demo: Matomo Forums - Saturday, January 13, 2018 - Web Analytics Reports - Matomo

Maybe the custom var is not loaded in “index 1” ?

if it’s working for all other reports but not custom var, this sounds strange. Please PM piwik URL + login + pwd + example URL that works + the custom var report that doesnt work and I’ll take a look

Hi matt, thanks a lot for your answer.

Actually it does NOT work on the demo as well, with exactly the same symptoms.

Following your link, as soon as you go to the “action” section of piwik the “no data available” warning is shown in all the sub-pages, whereas removing the segmentation part of the url shows some content:

this does not work: Matomo Forums - Saturday, January 13, 2018 - Web Analytics Reports - Matomo

this does: Matomo Forums - Saturday, January 13, 2018 - Web Analytics Reports - Matomo

and so does this (actions page with segmentation on visitsConverted==1) : Matomo Forums - Saturday, January 13, 2018 - Web Analytics Reports - Matomo

Thanks again!
Daniele

OK segmentation for Actions.get* work only for custom var of scope “page”. See note in Segmentation - Compare segments of visitors - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Happy New Year! If you are still using Piwik and interested in the awesome new feature of “Creating a Custom Segment in Piwik and apply to reports in Real time!” we need YOUR help, with a little or big donation at: http://crowdfunding.piwik.org/custom-segments-editor/

This will allow to dynamically add or edit, a new set of rules for example “Show all visitors from USA and using Firefox and using Google”. This will be done via a simple to use interface. See screenshots and more info here: http://crowdfunding.piwik.org/custom-segments-editor/

We are crowd funding the future of Piwik and this feature in particular. With your help we can do it.

Thanks

Matthieu

Hi Matt,

we did a donation, thanks for pointing out this option! I hope you’ll reach the funding target.

Looking foward to this feature.

Kind regards,
Daniele