Piwik or Google Analytics?

I got to ask, why would someone want Piwik over Google Analytics? Besides for the “real-time” reporting of Piwik what would be some compelling reasons to use it instead of Google?

One reason I am not liking Piwik is it’s lack of reports. Unless I am missing something, it cannot export to PDF… yet.

The reasons we use Piwik is:

1. We own the data and can mine the data as we see fit
  2. We can create modules that our clients need (eg view all their website overlayed on one graph)
  3. We can modifications to allow the tracker to pick up the site without the site_id meaning easier install across multiple templated sites.

Plus I like the UI style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

This is one of the things I like most style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif I’ll be really happy when the get better report export features added…

Our visitors data is not send somewhere to the US. I know people complain about this.

The openness and thus ability to customize and work on Piwik is a huge advantage imho. And so you don’t depend on the vendor.

[quote=jerz @ Jun 3 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got to ask, why would someone want Piwik over Google Analytics? Besides for the “real-time” reporting of Piwik what would be some compelling reasons to use it instead of Google?

I think phpMyVisites, piwik better than analytics. analytics send anywhere to USA. phpMyVisites piwik is open. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif What I search in Piwik is the last referers. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

QUOTE (jerz @ Jun 3 2009, 09:57 PM]One reason I am not liking Piwik is it's lack of reports. Unless I am missing something, it cannot export to PDF... yet.[/quote]

PHPmyvisits may favorite tracker has PDF-Export. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

As for the report export to pdf, I guess I would just print the page tp a pdf creator for now.

I’m finding I really like Piwik over google style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

I like it so much better that I have setup a free service hosting Piwik and providing it for free to anyone that wants to use it. If you’d like an account just PM me and I’ll set it up for you.

I’ve got to agree with Blizzz about Piwik’s customization being a major advantage over GA. That’s why we’re going to make the switch to Piwik. Plus, I absolutely hate sharing our site data with Google. And like jerz says, they UI is slick and killer.

Cheers!
Ken Lyons