Persistent error: undefined index General in LanguagesManager

Hi all,

I’ve been getting this error message (posted below) consistently on my Piwik administration dashboard and in some of my goal tracking widgets as well. I tried re-uploading Piwik to my server but that didn’t fix the problem.

Can anyone suggest a fix or a workaround?

Thanks!

There is an error. Please report the message (Piwik 2.0) and full backtrace in the Piwik forums (please do a Search first as it might have been reported already!).

Notice: Undefined index: General in /home/USER/public_html/piwik/plugins/LanguagesManager/API.php on line 132

Backtrace →

#0 Piwik\Error::errorHandler(…) called at [/home/USER/public_html/piwik/plugins/LanguagesManager/API.php:132]
#1 Piwik\Plugins\LanguagesManager\API->getAvailableLanguageNames(…) called at [/home/USER/public_html/piwik/plugins/LanguagesManager/LanguagesManager.php:94]
#2 Piwik\Plugins\LanguagesManager\LanguagesManager->getLanguagesSelector(…) called at [/home/USER/public_html/piwik/plugins/LanguagesManager/LanguagesManager.php:70]
#3 Piwik\Plugins\LanguagesManager\LanguagesManager->showLanguagesSelector(…) called at [:]
#4 call_user_func_array(…) called at [/home/USER/public_html/piwik/core/EventDispatcher.php:100]
#5 Piwik\EventDispatcher->postEvent(…) called at [/home/USER/public_html/piwik/core/Piwik.php:692]
#6 Piwik\Piwik::postEvent(…) called at [/home/USER/public_html/piwik/core/Menu/MenuTop.php:115]
#7 Piwik\Menu\MenuTop->getMenu(…) called at [/home/USER/public_html/piwik/core/Plugin/Controller.php:516]
#8 Piwik\Plugin\Controller->setGeneralVariablesView(…) called at [/home/USER/public_html/piwik/plugins/Dashboard/Controller.php:42]
#9 Piwik\Plugins\Dashboard\Controller->_getDashboardView(…) called at [/home/USER/public_html/piwik/plugins/Dashboard/Controller.php:55]
#10 Piwik\Plugins\Dashboard\Controller->embeddedIndex(…) called at [:]
#11 call_user_func_array(…) called at [/home/USER/public_html/piwik/core/FrontController.php:117]
#12 Piwik\FrontController->dispatch(…) called at [/home/USER/public_html/piwik/index.php:71]

at line 128 of this file, can you add:

var_dump($translations);
var_dump($filename);

and then copy here the output? it sounds like one translation file is incorrect but this shouldnt happen

Adding the translations line swamped me with translations, so I added just the filename line and got this:

string(2) “am” string(2) “ar” string(2) “be” string(2) “bg” string(2) “bn” string(2) “bs” string(2) “ca” string(8) “composer”
There is an error. Please report the message (Piwik 2.0) and full backtrace in the Piwik forums (please do a Search first as it might have been reported already!).

Notice: Undefined index: General in /home/USER/public_html/piwik/plugins/LanguagesManager/API.php on line 136

I checked in my lang/ directory and, indeed, there was a composer.json file that was messing this up (all the other json files should be languages). Here’s what composer.json says:

Is it safe to get rid of this file?

I ran the code you suggested, and it was reading normally until it came across a language called “composer”. I checked in /lang (where language files are) and found /lang/composer.json, which Piwik was trying to get language data out of since it tries to read any .json file in /lang/. Here’s composer.json:

Is it safe to delete/move this file, composer.json?

FYI, here’s one workaround I used that eliminated the error. In API.php line 66, I wrote:

if ($languages) {
            foreach ($languages as $language) {
            	if(strpos($language, "composer") !== FALSE) continue; //LINE 66 - MY ADDITION
                $languageNames[] = substr($language, $pathLength, -strlen('.json'));
            }
        }

It’s a bit hackish but it works. If anyone else has this problem you can use this workaround.

It’s definitely safe to remove the composer.json file! you probably uploaded it there by mistake. cheers!

Deleting composer.json worked like a charm - thanks!