Page url not defined

I think i discovered what is causing this to show up in the URL list.

Dreamweaver CS4.

I just edited a page of one of my sites since i got the CS4 demo and since the 0.5 update and it’s the first time i see page “url not defined” in the list of URLs for that site.
Maybe it happen because of the new “live preview” (my software is in french), altough i didn’t use it, it seems that Dream CS4 kind of (pre)load the page in the preview.

I hope people will be able to help in confirming this.

“page url not defined” replaces the default “index” (action_default_name) in earlier Piwik versions.

This occurs when someone visits a page without specifying the script, e.g., http://forum.piwik.org/[/url] as opposed to [url=http://forum.piwik.org/index.php]http://forum.piwik.org/index.php

You can change these by adding to your config.ini.php:

[General]
action_default_name_when_not_defined = "page title not defined"
action_default_url_when_not_defined = "page url not defined"

But i was having both at the same time :

[attachment=311:_10_12_2…13.53.02.jpg]

This is from yesterday.
The data seems to be archived and not affected by the change in config.ini.
For today, changing the parameter and refreshing the dashboard made Piwik show the differents strings i’ve tried.

If you change the defaults in config.ini.php (or global.ini.php), it isn’t updated retroactively in the database.

It is not actually replacing “index”, see the FAQ: What is “page url not defined” in the Pages report?

But why are all request listed as /page url not defined since version 0.5.4? How do I get the old correct behavior back?

Addendum: Switching back to 0.5.3 fixed the problem. Something went horribly wrong in the last release.

[quote=toscho @ Dec 21 2009, 12:05 PM][22-Dec-2009 16:33:16] PHP Notice: Undefined index: page_maximum_length in /var/www/vhosts/tanzeninberlin.de/httpdocs/php/piwik/core/Tracker/Action.php on line 145[/quote]What’s wrong?

EDIT - ok, I forgot to overwrite the global.inc.php, see: 301 Moved Permanently

I’ve got the same problem. All entries are shown as

/page url not defined
. In the database they are all listed correctly with their title and url. So i think something went wrong during an update.

Even overwriting all files with the new downloaded zip doesn’t solved the problem. So what can i do? Where can i find the old version to switch back and restart an update?

I understand that it occur when the browser dont permit Piwik knowing wich page the visitor is viewing, but, what was doing previous version of Piwik when it was encountering this situation ?
If the old Piwik was simply discarding the information, it’s normal that now we see this a lot more and that all people wonder what it is and think it’s a bug.

Me, i think it’s a bit anoying but no one would be against that people have the right to surf in total privacy.
That just make me think; what happen when we use the new privacy mode of IE8 or the one of Chrome to visit our sites ?

[quote=TulipVorlax @ Dec 24 2009, 04:51 AM]I understand that it occur when the browser dont permit Piwik knowing wich page the visitor is viewing, but, what was doing previous version of Piwik when it was encountering this situation ?
If the old Piwik was simply discarding the information, it’s normal that now we see this a lot more and that all people wonder what it is and think it’s a bug.[/quote]
No, the informations are in the database. I can see them in plain SQL, but they are show in Piwik as page url not defined. Maybe this isn’t a bug and only something went wrong during an update. This is why i’m searching for the old piwik 0.5.3 to doengrade and upgrade again.

On the main page, you have a “Releases archive” link.

[quote=TulipVorlax @ Dec 13 2009, 06:16 AM]I think i discovered what is causing this to show up in the URL list.

Dreamweaver CS4.

I just edited a page of one of my sites since i got the CS4 demo and since the 0.5 update and it’s the first time i see page “url not defined” in the list of URLs for that site.
Maybe it happen because of the new “live preview” (my software is in french), altough i didn’t use it, it seems that Dream CS4 kind of (pre)load the page in the preview.

I hope people will be able to help in confirming this.[/quote]

I can confirm this myself.
I dont say it’s the only reason but on thursday december 24, i have a visit on a site from my own IP that show “url no defined” (i made it show another string in config.ini though) and i never visited it in a browser.
I just made some changes to it in Dreamweaver CS4.
So, it seems, Dream CS4 is running the tracker code.
[attachment=461:_10_12_2…13.19.53.jpg]
The visitor log page clearly show this.

I worked on another site and the Live widget report a visit from my IP even though i never viewed the site in a browser :
[attachment=471:_10_12_2…14.41.14.jpg]

I found the solution: During the upgrade the /config/global.ini.php wasn’t updated and without the new entry …

page_maximum_length = 1024;

… Piwik can’t sort out page URLs anymore.

The strange thing is: There is no message about the old global.ini.php or the missing entry. The upgrade script doesn’t catch this case. Maybe it should?

Did you use the automatic updater to upgrade or manual FTP uploads? Automatic updates should not have this issue.

I have to add that after trying the automatic update from 0.5.something<4 to 0.5.4 screwed up with that “text length not declared” or similar sql alter table error message (browser update stopped at that very point and command line php did the same thing; mysql 5.0.84, php 5.2.9, anyway) I did the following:

• drop the database
  • wipe the piwik directory (as in rm -rf piwik)
  • start from scratch:
  • DL 0.5.4 from here, unpack and upload
  • prepare empty database
  • run install script (successfully)
  • implement latest, piwik-inside-generated js code into all to-be-tracked sites
  • wait for analysis
Now, a couple of days later, I also get those "page url not defined" entries, even from sites that consist of only one page. That one page, by the way, does have a title and URL and both are displayed correctly in the report [b]besides[/b] those "not defined" entries.

As I said before, this is an out-of-the-box installation of the latest version. No updates from some previous, older versions. Latest js code generated by piwik itself. So update problems of any kind schould be excluded.

In the config.ini.php there’s no …

page_maximum_length = 1024;

… entry.

Philipp

Philipp, what is the % of pages that appear with page url not defined? If this is low, this is expected. See http://piwik.org/faq/general/#faq_75

Same problem here. “page_maximum_length = 1024;” was already set and I can only see one entry “page title not defined”.

What else can I do?