I’m looking to setup a new on premise install which would serve, at a starting point, 10 very low traffic domains/websites. In time hopefully traffic demands will change, and the number of websites will also expand. My questions here are just about getting something setup for now. I’m assuming it’s easy to upgrade later.
I haven’t run matomo on premise previously, so this will also be an experiment (so don’t want major expenditure yet). I liked the cloud solution having used it briefly.
The two low cost options that spring to mind are to either:
- Use a virtual node or droplet from Linode or Digital Ocean. I’d get Nginx, PHP7, & MySQL setup. Those solutions start small and low cost and can scale as needed.
- I also have a reseller account and a traditional web host that is all PHP7 & MySQL ready. This is super easy, but the service performance is pretty lousy.
I’ve not deployed an analytics service like this before. If underlying matomo infrastructure is running slowly, does this kill performance on the website which has the tracking code installed? Or is the performance issue more around running reports and queries within the matomo application?
Please any thoughts as to:
- What minimum hardware spec do I need for running matomo on 10 websites/domains?
- Once up and running, is it simply a case of just taking a backup of the database (& perhaps some config), and transferring that to a new better hardware platform?
- My easiest & cheapest option is to install on the traditional webhost, is that worth a try?
- Any other ideas about this would be welcomed!