No referrer reports after migration


#1

I recently migrated my Piwik installation running 1.12 (old server! couldn’t upgrade beyond that) to a shiny new server running Piwik 2.10.

I literally exported the MySQL database from the old server, imported it into the new server, and then allowed Piwik to upgrade the old database to the new schema.

It brought in all my websites and displays historical data, but I get nothing in the Referrers, Keywords, and Search Engines reports. I read the “Visits from search engines or campaigns are not recorded” FAQ, and none of that seems to apply. I was certainly getting accurate reports on the old server, so all my tracking codes appear to be fine. And there are no weird redirects going on.

Potentially relevant, just in case:

The old server was "logs.example.org"
The new server was configured as “piwik.example.org” so I could access it until the DNS was updated and propogated.
I updated the DNS record for “logs” to point to the new server.
I put a redirect on the old server so that hits to “logs.example.org” would redirect to “piwik.example.org”. And I can get that referrer information might be lost for such redirects, but that was only a temporary measure.
I had installed (but not activated) the “AdvancedCampaignReporting” plugin. Mentioned only because it might interact with Referrers reports, and I don’t know what effect installing-but-not-activating might have. I ended up deleting it, and nothing changed.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting?


Later: all DNS propagation has completed, so I'm pretty sure that isn't relevant here. I still have no Referrer, Keywords, or Search Engine results. The "Visitors in Real Time" report, however, clearly shows referrer information:

Wed 7 Jan - 14:20:43   [United States, Provider Comcast]   - IP: 71.60.14.117
from forbes - "2013-06-28-what-is-an-etf-three-simple-answers/" <-- The "forbes" is properly linked to the referrer page
Pages:  [Are You A Savvy Manager Of Your IRA? - Rebalance IRA Wed 7 Jan 14:20:43 ]

So I’m guessing that the data is being recorded, but isn’t being pulled by the reports for some reason.

I’m happy to poke around the code and/or MySQL tables, if someone can point me in the right direction.

Help?


(Stefan Giehl) #2

Did you replace your Tracking code in the websites after updating from 1.X to 2.X?
There were some changes, maybe you need to update it.


#3

I did not replace the tracking code in my websites as a matter of practice after moving from 1.x to 2.10. There was no indication that it was necessary, and nothing in any of the change logs between those releases that would indicate that it should be done.

In fact, the 2.0 release states “Updates from Piwik 1.x: Updates from previous versions should work seamlessly, but it may take a while to run the Database schema upgrades.”

Nonetheless, I have updated at least 1 tracking code, and created 2 new sites to track (with newly-generated code), and I’m not getting any reports from them either.

More confusing is that I can look in the “log_visit” table in the database, and recent entries do have data for referrer_name, referrer_url, and referrer_keyword. I’m just not seeing any of it in the reports.

Before I break down and familiarize myself with the whole Symphonyc Piwik codebase to debug this, can anyone give me pointers on how to help pinpoint the issue?


#4

Magical resolution, it woud appear. My referrer, keyword, etc. reports are now populated with the expected data.

The archive script, which had been run several times (both manually and by cron), normally executed no “scheduled tasks” after archiving.


Starting Scheduled tasks... 
INFO CoreConsole[2015-01-07 04:28:10]  No task to run
INFO CoreConsole[2015-01-07 04:28:10] done

Finally, for reasons yet unknown, it executed


Piwik\Plugins\CoreAdminHome\Tasks.purgeOutdatedArchives,Time elapsed: 21.943s
Piwik\Plugins\ExamplePlugin\Tasks.myTask,Time elapsed: 0.000s
Piwik\Plugins\CoreAdminHome\Tasks.purgeInvalidatedArchives,Time elapsed: 15.525s
Piwik\Plugins\PrivacyManager\Tasks.deleteReportData,Time elapsed: 0.007s
Piwik\Plugins\PrivacyManager\Tasks.deleteLogData,Time elapsed: 0.001s
Piwik\Plugins\CorePluginsAdmin\Tasks.clearAllCacheEntries,Time elapsed: 0.017s
Piwik\Plugins\CorePluginsAdmin\Tasks.sendNotificationIfUpdatesAvailable,Time elapsed: 0.002s
Piwik\Plugins\CoreAdminHome\Tasks.optimizeArchiveTable,Time elapsed: 83.267s
Piwik\Plugins\CoreUpdater\Tasks.sendNotificationIfUpdateAvailable,Time elapsed: 0.005s

and the reports suddenly appeared. I don’t know what finally triggered those tasks, but perhaps someone closer to the code might be able to use this infomation for some good!


(Matthieu Aubry) #5

Hi there, it’s quite a weird and first-time issue. Thanks for reporting it.